Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown manufacturer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown manufacturer?
    Posted: December 30 2022 at 7:36am
I have in my possession a magazine for a No4Mk1. It was made by Singer Manufacturing Co. 
The issue I am having is trying to figure out who made the follower.  It is clearly stamped,  "U.C.F." but I cannot find any reference in Skennertons big book.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated in assisting me in deciphering this anomaly...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 7:59am
I can't find anything. I have looked everywhere.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 10:06am
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 10:55am
The bottom of the spring has a Triangle and a B inside a circle as well...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 12:24pm
I’ve seen the circle B before, the chargers I have are so marked.  I’ll look it up and let you know. 
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 12:38pm
the circle B is J. Birch and Sons Walsall
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

the circle B is J. Birch and Sons Walsall

That bit of information is actually great news for me. Thank you so much for that shiloh...
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 4:34pm
I can`t remember where, but I read that UFC may have been a feeder for savage or long branch.
I`ve searched around and like you found nothing. Lots of history on both LB and savage but not a lot on the web as far as feeders for either.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 4:52pm
United Coalition of Foundries UK. No dispersal code. 
Still researching but I am getting closer...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2022 at 5:50pm
The reason I am trying to research this is for the very simple fact that I am creating a small reference book indicating every manufacturer that was involved with creating my No4Mk1 Maltby.  This magazine has the N67 dispersal code on the rib and the J. Birch & Son B inside a circle stamp puts the spring being made in or around Staffordshire.  This U.C.F. stamp is the puzzler so far. I found an article referencing a United Coalition of Foundries in Birmingham which if this pans out will be avery fitting addition to the rifle. 
Backstory on the magazine. I was in an antique shop yesterday and saw some No 4 MkIII spike bayonets. Behind one of those pig stickers was this magazine.  I was happily surprised to find the N67 on the rib but even more surprised to see the $9.95 price tag. I would really like to get a definitive answer as to who this U.C.F. entity is. It should be noted here that none of the PP stamped Resistance No4Mk1's have an original magazine fitted to them, rather a rather crudely made aftermarket magazine and they take alot of work to get to function even halfass decently.  
BoletheLennert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoletheLennert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2023 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

The reason I am trying to research this is for the very simple fact that I am creating a small reference book indicating every manufacturer that was involved with creating my No4Mk1 Maltby.  This magazine has the N67 dispersal code on the rib and the J. Birch & Son B inside a circle stamp puts the spring being made in or around Staffordshire.  This U.C.F. stamp is the puzzler so far. I found an article referencing a United Coalition of Foundries in Birmingham which if this pans out will be avery fitting addition to the rifle. 
Backstory on the magazine. I was in an antique shop yesterday and saw some No 4 MkIII spike bayonets. Behind one of those pig stickers was this magazine.  I was happily surprised to find the N67 on the rib but even more surprised to see the $9.95 price tag. I would really like to get a definitive answer as to who this U.C.F. entity is. It should be noted here that none of the PP stamped Resistance No4Mk1's have an original magazine fitted to them, rather a rather crudely made aftermarket magazine and they take alot of work to get to function even halfass decently.  

That's very good to know. Have you done with your reference book? Or it is in process?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2023 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by BoletheLennert BoletheLennert wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

That's very good to know. Have you done with your reference book? Or it is in process?
Not complete. Still a work in progress...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic