Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Stuff for Enfields > Wanted Items *Must Have 20 Points to Post.
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No1 Mk3 front handguard needed. (No longer needed)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 Mk3 front handguard needed. (No longer needed)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No1 Mk3 front handguard needed. (No longer needed)
    Posted: January 07 2023 at 3:38pm
Looking for a non DP marked No1 Mk3 front handguard. Good condition/NOS. Does anybody have one or can point me in the right direction?

Have checked all of the normal places multiple times. Not interested in reproduction.

Thanks, Scott
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 7:37am
They are out there and probably cost more than reproduction pieces, which by the way are a decent investment for a restoration, which is what you`re doing, either way it dosn`t hurt value one iota.
good luck
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Enfield trader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enfield trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 7:58am
Maybe the value isn’t hurt in just using the handguard but if a complete repro stock is used or a DP stock then yes value is greatly diminished. 

Only original once ….

shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 9:03am
 Yes this is true, but the unhappy part is most private sales out there now are by no means original.
If you`re into value or collecting that is.  Most new to Enfields either don`t know or frankly don`t care. All they see is a lee Enfield rifle and are happy to just have one.
 Here`s an example, an acquaintance of mine was over and saw my Bisley MkI 1915, I told him I built it to resemble a picture of one I had seen, he wanted it and offered $2000 just to have it, to which I said nope, its mine and priceless. Basically has a MKV 1 piece upper hand guard and an aperture rear sight. Scarce as hens teeth and from what I gather were mostly home built, but if found are worth a small fortune.
 The point is, original Enfields are becoming unattainable by the average Joe, so restoring is at best the only viable option for most. Those that flaunt them as originals should be ashamed, they`re nothing but money grubbing thieves.
 I try to encourage those looking for advise on restoring old rifles and allow them to decide for themselves which way is best to proceed based on their economic situations and whether they are flipping to move up or just want a good example.
 I`m not in it for money I have them to enjoy and to pass on, many a fellow gun club mate is happy to enjoy them with me.....
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 3:02pm
I may have to go the DP route on this. I'm just not into anything reproduction. I have a line on a couple of DP marked ones that look really good. They are lightly stamped DP on the front cap. Might go for one of those.

This rifle is going to be for me to shoot and enjoy. I will most likely never sell it and value does not concern me. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by scottz63 scottz63 wrote:

I may have to go the DP route on this. I'm just not into anything reproduction. I have a line on a couple of DP marked ones that look really good. They are lightly stamped DP on the front cap. Might go for one of those.

This rifle is going to be for me to shoot and enjoy. I will most likely never sell it and value does not concern me. 
Just be totally aware that in most cases, the DP'd rifles also included the stock as well. Alot of DP'd rifles had stocks that were twisted and basically mated to its Master Component. When you purchase a rifle stock with the DP paint job, you purchase whatever issue came with it. Do as you see fit to do and keep us updated with your progress...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 3:35pm
I already have non DP stock, forend, and rear handguard. Just need a front handguard.
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 2:31pm
Still looking.
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 7:02pm
Still needed.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 5:40am
Why don't you but a repo piece to keep the project moving forward all the while looking for an original? You can always swap it out when an original is located.
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 6:05am
This is true. I have my eye on a DP marked one. It's in nice shape and an original piece. I figure a DP handguard should work fine.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 7:43am
Originally posted by scottz63 scottz63 wrote:

This is true. I have my eye on a DP marked one. It's in nice shape and an original piece. I figure a DP handguard should work fine.

Just check that it is not warped and that the barrel channel is 'good'.

DP wood was used on DP rifles because it was out of specification for a 'live firing service rifle'

Any furniture taken off rifles because it was damaged had to be saved and then examined by senior examiners (C.I.S.A. = Chief Inspector of Small Arms) from Enfield Lock before it could be classed as DP, if it was not badly damaged it went back to the armourers shop to be repaired, splice or whatever to make it usable on a service rifle.

All non DP parts EXCEPT wood could be used on DP rifles if the cost of fitting was lower than returning the rifle to Enfield.
Non DP wood must never be used on a DP rifle.

Instructions to Armourers 1931 (Page 18)

Use of DP woodwork :

20. Repair of rifles No. 1 D.P.—Provision of stocks and handguards is made for the repair and maintenance of No. 1 D.P. rifles. They are supplied, as required, on demand through the usual channels. These components, marked “D.P.”, will not be used for the repair of rifles other than “D.P.”. Serviceable stocks and handguards must not be used for the repair and maintenance of “D .P.” rifles. Unserviceable stocks and handguards from service rifles which may be considered as suitable for “D.P.” rifles will be accumulated locally at Command Ordnance Depots and held pending the visit of an examiner from the C.I.S.A., Enfield Lock, who will finally sentence and mark them. Serviceable components, other than stocks and handguards, may continue to be used for the maintenance of “D.P.” rifles provided that the cost is unlikely to exceed the cost of factory repair with “D.P.” parts plus cost of transport of the rifles to and from the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield Lock.

scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 6:05pm
No longer needed. I found one. :)

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 6:16pm
I have a rear hand-guard on an SMLE, I bought it seperate from the rifle because it had the fingers & I thought no fingers may have been correct, but was fugly.
It does have a pair of biscuit reinforcements, but so do many, I've had it on the rifle for some time now & its perfectly fine.
I was looking at it the other day for some purpose & the light revealed a faint "DP" stamp, so faint I've never noticed it before & I've had it since 2017!
Other than being reinforced can't find anything wrong with it.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 6:19pm
I think for handguards, DP marked is fine. As long as they are not warped. The one I found above is DP marked. Seller says it's so faint you have to have it in the right light to see it.

Slim pickings on these, so this is what I ended up with. Last part I needed.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 6:22pm
OK that's what I found.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic