Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DCRA wears a Matchmaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DCRA wears a Matchmaker
    Posted: January 10 2023 at 3:11pm
As a result of the extraordinary generosity of one of our members on the forum, my No. 4 Mk 2 DCRA now wears a A Parker Matchmaker tunnel sight. I’ve always wanted to try one of these sights, I’m hoping it will give me a more consistent point of aim.  

I’ve ordered a set of reproduction inserts to try.  The one it currently is fitted with is 0.133 inches in diameter, about 16 MOA.  That is fairly large, the Long Range target black aiming mark is only 4.4 MOA at 1000 yards, so this front sight will encircle the target frame and possibly the edges of the adjacent targets. 

I’ve never used one of these front sights, I expect it will take a bit of getting used to.  

This might be fitted “back to front”, but otherwise interferes with the front handguard and the set screw to adjust windage would not be accessible. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 6:14pm
 Very nice Kudos to whoever. This is why I treasure this site, we mostly work together.
That's right way round for that combination. From memory at least.

You'll be surprised which "circle" reticule works best.
Most put in a tiny one to get the tightest possible "circle of light" round the black. In reality your eye does that for you without any input from you. You may find the "right" one is considerably bigger than you'd expect. The eye is responding to brightness, so the more the better (within reason.)Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Enfield trader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enfield trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 6:18pm
I had the Match Marker on my L39A1 and it worked well - I had some inserts somewhere around here I think but might have sold them 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 10:47pm
A shooting buddy just bought a Long ranch No4 rifle that is set up for target use. It has the matchmaker 15mm front sight. But he was missing the inserts. It had one poorly fitted adaption. 
Luckily in my L39A1, I had a set of the 15mm inserts in the butt 's little container. But my rifle is fitted with a 17mm front matchmaker. So I gave him the set along with a few other accessories.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 4:50am
It was none other than Strangely Brown (Mick) that generously gave me the sight.  And yes, the group on this forum is rather unique in that way.  I’m very grateful to have so many friends here. 

If I can get over this annoying cold, I’ll sight the rifle in at the range on Friday. 

My only experience with shooting a similar sight picture is with my HiLux 1-4x scope on my AR.  It has a 10 MOA circular reticle with a 6 x 6 MOA cross hair inside it.  I focus on the cross hair to “quarter” the target black aiming mark and usually ignore the circle.  I’ve occasionally used the circle for prone slow fire at 600 yds, perhaps that’s the way to go, the “black on black” sight picture probably requires a lot more concentration to hold than centering two black circles with a white ring in between.  There are reasons why these types of things became universally used on the target range, they improved scores.

Here is the view thru the PH 5c rear sight aperture opened up wide.  That front sight aperture circle looks pretty small in this photo, the target black aiming mark is much smaller, about 1/3 the diameter at 200, 300, 600 and 800 and 1/4 the diameter at 1000. 

Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

I had a set of the 15mm inserts in the butt 's little container. But my rifle is fitted with a 17mm front matchmaker. So I gave him the set along with a few other accessories.

I have lost count of the number of L39's, Envoys etc which have a 15mm P-H insert container fitted along with a 17mm Matchmaker or Wilkes foresight tube; and worse still the number of people who are convinced that the inserts will fit in the container if only they pushed a little harder!

The problem occurs in L39's because the units purchasing them simply didn't understand that there were two sizes of inserts. 
Parker-Hale compounded the problem by not making it clear in their catalogues, possibly due to the Matchmaker being an AJ Parker product. 
During the 60's & 70's the gloves were off as both companies were fighting for the same market and any gentleman's agreement had I suspect vanished when the respective heads of either companies had retired or died. 
Mick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 6:14am
I sighted the rifle in on a small scale Target I have up on the wall in my house I use for dry fire practice.   It looks pretty good, and as Shamu said, it gives a very clear and bright sight picture.  I’m sure it will work good on the 200 and 300 yd targets that have a comparably large target frame for the range.  

I think the difficulty will be at the long ranges, the frames get comparably smaller, the white area of the target will “shrink”.  At 800 and 1000 yards, there is not much white, a 44 inch diameter black aiming mark (8 ring) on a 72 x 72 inch frame, and the insert will appear 160 inches in diameter at 1000x. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 8:47am
I picked this up a while back, clearly a "Privateer" with no discernible finish on it whatsoever, the top and back look quite well done but when you see the unfinished back you just want to flush it away!

Mick
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 12:51pm
Its a kind of "zen" thing again.
Focus on the front sight (as always) & let the eye/mind interface center it for you.
Feels really odd at first, but you get used to it eventually
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 1:29pm
Thanks for that info' Mick. Interesting to know that the 17mm matchmaker was original to the L39A1 and the incorrect inserts container in the butt could also be original. 
I thought the sight may have been swapped at some point in it's life.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 4:54pm
That "weld" is downright nasty.
I think my version of "cropped ears" will look nicer. Even if it  on an SMLE.
I am going to have to go to the smaller #17 Lyman though, I think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I am going to have to go to the smaller #17 Lyman though, I think.
I think this is the one that crops up on the few DCRA rifles that have made it into the UK, I must have a closer look next time I shoot alongside a friends DCRA "styled" No.4. 
(Not marked DCRA but it has a Canadian barrel etc) 
Mick
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 2:40pm
Mine's gong to be for an SMLE so there will be some reworking involved somwhere anyway because of the angled front sight block.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 2:54pm
I’m pretty excited about this Matchmaker.  

I’ve been dry firing every day this week to get accustomed to the different sight picture. What I really like is that the high level of concentration and focus to maintain consistent shot to shot elevation with the blade (post) foresight is now eliminated.  

With a blade sight, you have to be so careful that the top of the blade does not creep up into “the black” as it blends in with the target black bull. Those nice concentric circles with the rear aperture, front aperture and round bull just seem to want to line up without even thinking about it. 

I might be putting a bit too much hope that the tunnel foresight will improve my scores, but more confidence never hurts when it comes to success in target shooting!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 4:51pm
If that happens, & I doubt it will you can get a blade insert for the sight & carry on as before!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2023 at 2:32pm
Got out to the range today to try the new Matchmaker Foresight.  Very pleased with it.  

As might be expected, my initial sighter shots were high at 200 yds since the point of aim is now “center mass” rather than a 6:00 hold on the black aiming mark.  I had a + .015 front sight blade previously, so the globe front sight is a bit taller, by about 1 size.  

I expect as I get used to the different sight picture, scores will improve.  

Here is the first group at 200 yds.   I did not initially boresight the rifle, since the change in front sight height from the standard blade sight was fairly small.  

First two sighters in the 7 ring at 12:30 right next to each other using my previous 200 yd zero rear sight setting.

I lowered the rear sight a bit too much for shot #3, which was just outside the 10 ring at 5:00 (I keep forgetting that the PH 5c sight adjustments are about 1.25 MOA per 4 clicks and not a true MOA). 

Then adjusted up 1 MOA and Left 1 MOA.  The next 6 shots held a good group, under 1.5 MOA, but a bit high and left of center. 

Now to find the time to head back to the 1000 yd range at Spencer, TN…

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic