Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case “Crush up”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 12:56pm
The possibility of both you and Alan having had the small displeasure of procuring a batch of out of specifications ammunition from Winchester does not seem unreasonable.  It happens to all ammunition makers every now and then.
I myself have had the misfortune of having procured 500 rounds of Canadian made 303.  Every case was deformed in someway or another but still able to chamber safely. Accuracy was another topic altogether.  A drunk with a handful of rocks would have been a better shot than what these were doing...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 6:58pm
Here's a comparison I did some time back of several brands of cases I had on hand.

Rating .303 British cases by manufacturer for critical specs. These are the average from 5 sample cases.

The tests produced a bit of interesting myth busting again (“Thinner than normal” American made cases & thinner rimmed cases from Rem. & Win.), & a couple of inconsistencies. I expected case weights to be the exact inverse of case volumes, but it wasn’t so. This may be in part to my attempt to get volumes by water as the meniscus was more variable than I expected so I wouldn’t be as concerned with the volume results as I would with the weight, rim thickness & variations in those 3 areas.

Case weight.

Remington lightest @ (161.04 GR).

Win 2Nd. @ (168.0).

S&B 3Rd. @ (180.62).

PPU 4th. @ (182.38).

HXP Heaviest. @ (184.62).

Case volume of water.

Win smallest @ 53.28 Gr.

HXP 2Nd. @ 53.78 Gr.

Rem 3Rd. @ 54.6 Gr.

PPU 4th. @ 55.54 Gr.

S&B largest @ 55.95 Gr.

Rim thickness.

S&B Thinnest with 0.0555”.

Rem 2Nd. With 0.0586”.

HXP 3Rd. with 0.0600”.

Win 4Th. With 0.0607”.

PPU Thickest With 0.0608”.

Case to case variations.

Weight:

Win lowest @ 0.4 GR.

Rem next @ 1.5 Gr.

PPU 3Rd with 4.1 GR.

HXP 4 Th. With 11.3 Gr.

S&B last with a whopping 18.3 Gr.

Volume:

HXP lowest with 1.2 Gr.

Rem 2Nd at 1.8 Gr.

Win 3Rd. at 2.7 Gr.

PPU 4Th. At 3.1 Gr.

S&B highest @ 3.9 Gr.

Rim thickness variation.

PPU, Win & Rem in a dead heat for least variation @ 0.0030” between.

HXP 2Nd at 0.0045”

S&B 3Rd. with 0.0050”.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2023 at 2:26am

Very interesting figures and a lot of work to produce them.

I think what it does show is that the Rem & Win cases are 8-10% lighter than the PPU, as the exterior measurements of the cases must be similar, then that weight can only go into making the case walls or rims thicker - which supports the pictures I posted.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2023 at 5:27am
I did a similar comparison a few weeks ago between RP, PPU and Dominion Arsenal DAC 1951 Mk 7z cases. 

These are the averages from a sample of 10 cases each, RP is the first value, PPU the second and DAC 51 the third.  Note I did not include weight data on the DAC cases as these are Berdan fired cases with the spent primer still in the case.

RP     |   PPU   | DAC 51 7z

Case Weight (gr)    160.8. |  171.0

Weight Variation (gr)  2.0  |  2.3

Rim Thickness (in)  0.0595| 0.0614| 0.0622

Neck Thickness (in)  0.011| 0.013  | 0.014

The DAC cases were the most consistent in rim and neck (case mouth) thickness, maximum - minimum was 0.002 in rim thickness and 0.001 in neck thickness. 

The DAC cases were from loaded ammunition that is quite accurate, ten shots typically group into 1.5 MOA out of my Dad’s No. 4 (T). I’ve experienced fliers with my RP handloads from this rifle that I think may be attributed to the cases.  Note the substantial difference in case neck thickness between RP and DAC. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic