Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bayonet help for a Mk V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bayonet help for a Mk V
    Posted: January 23 2023 at 8:54am
Hi, I was recently gifted a 1923 Enfield Mk. V rifle from my father in law and would love to get a bayonet for it. There are a bunch of options on ebay. Any suggestions? Also need to know what pattern fits this rifle?

Thanks for your help!

Bezerker
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 11:19pm
Provided your rifle still has its nose-cap and bayonet lug, any Pattern 1907 should fit. However, to better match the rifle, I'd be inclined to go for one of British manufacture produced towards the end of WW I, ideally an Enfield.
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 4:28am
Thank you, The pattern 1907's seem very long though, almost like short swords. I'd prefer something shorter 12"-18". Any suggestions?
Bezerker
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:04am
Are you looking to keep it "original"? If you are - then get the proper bayo.(Otherwise, why bother?)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:09am
1907 type is a sword bayonet; they are not too long. Looks great on the rifle!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:13am
Thanks.....is 1907 type the only pattern that fits the Mk V?
Bezerker
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:14am
I'd like to keep it original but would prefer something shorter and more practical.
Bezerker
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 11:01am
I fully agree with Hoadie.  A Pat.1903 and one of the short Indian 07s should fit, but would likely be more expensive, most inappropriate and also undermine the credibility of an uncommon rifle.. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 2:32pm
Yes the '07 is the only "correct" one.
A chopped Indian 07 will fit & be handier, but incorrect.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 10:33am
Thanks everyone for your input. I was able to find a nice patter 1907 that was chopped down for use during WWII.
Bezerker
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 2:07pm
Dittos all of the above , the only correct version and only one that will fit is a P1907 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 9:41pm
I rather doubt that SMLE Mk V Rifles were ever issued or used with "chopped down" bayonets. Perhaps you should exchange your rifle for an Ishapore No.1 Mk III*, but be careful that you are not killed in the rush!
lance View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 1:50am
Don't give up, Enfield made a short run of P1907 bayonets in 1922-1924.  Very hard to find but were made at the same time as the SMLE Mk V
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 4:59am
It's just a pattern 1907 that should fit my Mk V, it wasn't chopped specific for the Mk V. See pic

Bezerker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 1:45pm
I think you missed the point.
No full length (17") bayonet was ever chopped for the MkV, thats rather the point, they all would have had the P'07 with the full length 17" blade.
If you want both short(er) & "correct" maybe this?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 9:43pm
i think we have arrived at the truth ...you bought that didnt you ? thinking a mkV and a no5 should both have a specific bayonet , its why you need to read and ask here first , 
the no 5 has a specific bayonet , it only fits that rifle due to the muzzel fitting , but the mkV was a trials rifle in the evolution from the no1 rifles to the no4 , at that point in time the pattern 1907 was still the standard , its the only correct bayonet , all others that you might think and might fit will be incorrect , 

that said - do as you please , we dont mislead nor misstate here , 

ill add the P03 might fit but it was for an earlier rifle ,  and the indian shortened might fit but they were for a different rifle far later , neither would be correct , 

you can certainly have a historically incorrect pairing and claim it to be whatever you want but those of us that know will know 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic