Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ishapore SMLE Mk3* Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ishapore SMLE Mk3* Questions
    Posted: March 21 2023 at 4:05pm
he!!o! New SMLE owner and forum member here - I collect ww2/old firearms in general and the SMLE is a new one for me that I just acquired. It was for sale for a decent price with matching bolt/receiver/rear site serial numbers and a really crisp looking barrel so I decided to purchase it & add to the collection. However, I didn't realize that the nose cap was also a serialized part on these and it does not match, and I also noticed it has the "DP" markings on the nose cap and the hand guard cap above it. I'll insert some pictures to show this. I believe, it was marked DP because the nose cap screw (not the one that is at the 6 o'clock position but at the 9 o'clock position) is missing, rendering it for "drill purposes"? I haven't seen any evidence to confirm this - so I am curious if that is the case and wondering if it's worth trying to find a replacement nose cap and fit it to the rifle. DP markings do not appear on the bolt/receiver or anywhere else on the rifle that I can find. 

Everything else seems to function as it should, I'll order some ammunition soon for a test fire and seeing how it performs but curious if anyone else has any thoughts on the nose cap being marked DP or if I'm missing something. Thank you! 

shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 7:37am
 An educated guess would be someone before you restored it with what ever he/she could acquire, DP marked or other wise.
 How ever, DP marked rifles, where ever the marks are found do put up red flags. Whether marked on the breach/receiver, bolt, stocks or what have you; they were marked for one reason only. Deemed un-serviceable.
 So back to my first comment, is it a refurb, or untouched armorers determination. Who knows, 50/50 crap shoot. I`m a shooter and will not buy any rifle to use marked DP.
 Yes all the appropriate screws should be in place and properly tightened.

Just my humble opinion, others may vary.

At the very least have it checked by a knowledgeable smithy who knows Enfields
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 8:53am
All the wood on it is a different color. Maybe it was sporterized at one time and was put back with whatever was available, as stated above by shiloh. As long as the action parts are not DP marked, it should be ok. I would check the headspace on it though at a minimum.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
LB518 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 9:07am
Thanks for the reply's! I was thinking as well that the hand guard up front where one of the DP markings is wasn't original since it's definitely a bit darker and doesn't seem to perfectly match the butt stock. Along with the nose cap since it's obviously a different serial number. I plan on checking headspace this weekend to be extra sure but all other mechanical parts are sound, tight lockup nothing seems to be shifting etc. No DP marks anywhere else on the rifle including stock/action/receiver. Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 9:57am
I'm with shiloh on this.
a few things that may be helpful to you.
"DP" is not "deactivated"!

A "DP" rifle is restricted to Drill Purposes (only), this may be for several reasons, but it is frequently just worn out & so relegated to training only to save "Square Bashing" stresses on a good new rifle! Frequently out of spec, or parts that "failed Gauge" are used in the construction. This obviously means you need to be doubly cautious & get everything checked as some DP parts may have been used to converted a sported model back to original configuration. Also things like snipping off the tip of the firing pin may have been done, necessitating a replacement.

A "Deact" is a different kettle of fish entirely.
It has been deliberately made incapable of firing. It has been intentionally rendered difficult or impossible to reactivate! Parts may be intentionally damaged modified or disabled & depending on the time , place, & level of deactivating required (there are several over the years) welded shut or otherwise destroyed as a functioning firearm.

Yes, be suspicious of anything marked "DP", & have it checked by a competent & experienced 'smith but its not as drastic or bad as deactivation. This is particularly so if the metal such as the action body or barrel shows no "DP" marks.

Put simply Be suspicious & cautious with anything "DP", but definitely avoid anything "Deact" except as a decorative item.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
LB518 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2023 at 2:52pm
Good info on the "deact"! I'm going to have the headspace checked this weekend when I get some time and if all checks out hopefully in the coming weekends I can get some range time with it out in the desert - see what kind of damage I can do to paper :) I'll post some results if i get the chance to do so. Thanks again all for the info! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic