Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frenchie and the PH5C...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frenchie and the PH5C...
    Posted: March 24 2023 at 3:12pm
I was looking through some stuff the other day and stumbled across a Parker Hale PH5C with 1/4" clicks that I had forgotten about. I installed it on Frenchie the other day and it definitely looks right at home. I will see how well it works out in a couple of weeks when I head out to the range again...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 4:29pm
Great photos!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 7:26pm
Very nice! Yes, great pics as well.

I had not seen a 6 hole diopter like that on a PH5c. I have a 6 hole diopter on mine, but the diopter wheel is enclosed within the sight. What brand/type is that one?
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 8:12pm
scottz63: It has PARKER stamped on it. Whether or not it is Parker Hale or AJ Parker remains a mystery to me. I have it primarily for the fact that I can adjust the elevation as low as it will go without the bolt handle interfering with the diopter...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 8:13pm
Nice. Thanks!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 2:40am
I was going to ask aboot the bolt clearance. Looks good and should work well!
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

scottz63: It has PARKER stamped on it. Whether or not it is Parker Hale or AJ Parker remains a mystery to me.

Goosic, it's definitely a Parker-Hale P-H 5c.

Arthur Hale on seeing that AJ Parker had produced the AJP 4/47 sight (No.4 sight for 1947) is alleged to have said, I wished we had made that!
A couple of years later the P-H 5c was produced by Parker-Hale and the rest as they say is history.
Worth noting here that DOW (Delphos Ordnance Works) also produced 5c sights in South Africa under licence, usually marked "DOW" and the year of manufacture. 

During the .303 era the range yardage scale went up to 1200 yards and post 1968 they went to 1000 yards which was the then maximum distance the Target Rifle discipline was shot in the UK. 
This applies to both Parker-Hale & AJ Parker. 

As an aside:
The Target Rifle fraternity (UK), certainly in the 1960's, 70's preferred to deal with AJ PARKER, Edna Parker who was very much in control of the company in those days had a strong following especially with the armed forces rifle teams which is why so many L39's are still with found with AJP 4/47 sights on them.   

An old customer of mine once told me that Edna had lent the RAF team an SMLE that had been stocked up in Lignum vitae (circa mid 50's), he said it didn't shoot any better than any of the other SMLE's but did note it was bloody heavy!  

Mick
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 5:22am
Strangely Brown: I apologize for the confusion.  I was referring to the 6 hole Diopter.  It is only stamped PARKER on the top.
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Strangely Brown: I apologize for the confusion.  I was referring to the 6 hole Diopter.  It is only stamped PARKER on the top.

Goosic, I should be offering my apologies rather than jumping in with both feet and wittering on about my never ending love affair with both Parker firms. 
Mick
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 9:38am
Here's some outdoor photos of the PH5C and the PARKER diopter. If anyone is wondering about that spacer, it is there to keep the same tension in that area in place of the rear sight to help eliminate any unwanted outward flexing of the reciever when a load is place on it and to maintain a consistent letoff...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 10:41am
IIRC  that's the original 6-hole eyepiece. The enclosed PH #61 one was a later which was promotes as having the exact same center on each apertures so there would be zero change to POA when changing aperture sizes.The point about the bolt handle clearing the eyepiece is very valid.
I had to rig a custom much taller front-sight blade to work with my Gehmann rear on the Central sight.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 12:20pm
That's the problem I'm having Shamu.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 7:58pm
I go the sight & fitted it, but "life interrupted" & so that's as far as it went.Censored
The original sight was 0.187", the "sharks fin" replacement from gawd knows what was 0.397". That's a sizable 0.21" difference.
I needed 1.960' total at the rear to clear the bolt handle that translates to 25 1/2 MOA clicks more than I had with the original.
I'm bore-sighted with the little laser gizmo at 25 yds, but I have to actually get to the range & shoot it.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 5:04am
Shamu, I could never figure out what that front sight blade was for!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 10:42am
I rather like the "Shark Fin" shape & the height is perfect.It bumps the LOS up by about 32 clicks at my best guess. I went with 25 using the laser as that should put me on the paper at 25 yds to start.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic