Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nice Spring Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nice Spring Day
    Posted: March 25 2023 at 11:52am
First ride of the 2023 season.  A very nice spring day in the North Georgia mountains.  A bit windy, especially on a light machine like the Velocette Thruxton. 

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 12:20pm
Nice motorcycle!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 6:01pm
agreed , beautiful scooter , miss my triumph days like this , 
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 4:00am
Very nice Geoff!

I'm guessing but was that named after the racing circuit at Thruxton? 
If so I shoot clays a few hundred yards from the circuit most Thursdays. 
Mick
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 4:43am
Mick, yes, named after winning at the 1965 Thruxton 500 mile endurance race in the 500 cc (senior) class.  

This is a 1967, which my Dad bought in 1969 with about 1200 miles on the clock, now has around 53,000 miles.  He had several others he bought new, but kept this one.

Approx 1100 were built from 1965 to 1971. Dad had the last machine made, he was the Canadian distributor when the factory closed.  He had that machine still in the crate until the early 1980’s. I know who the current owner is and it still has not been ridden.

It’s a great machine for these twisty mountain roads. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 5:25am
Geoff in my photographic retailer days I ran a shop for the company in Bournemouth, one of the opposition shops in town was owned by a chap called Robert White who collected Brough Superiors motor cycles.
Whilst I knew Robert in a professional level we weren't friends as such but I was rather surprised to note that after his death from cancer in 2015 his friend, one Jay Leno bought some of his collection which unsurprisingly also consisted of Leica cameras. 
Robert kept a Brough at the bottom of his stairs in his house in Sandbanks Poole a friend noted who was one of his wedding guests. 
Mick
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 6:16am
Jay Leno has quite a collection, including a Velo Thruxton very similar to this one, a 1971 assembled after the factory closed from parts.  He did a short video on it.  He mispronounced “Veloce”, and a few minor errors, but did a good review.  Only 1400 miles on his machine. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 10:52am
What store was that?
I worked for "Reids Of Haslemere" for a while. Oh the "Mr Reid (Don)" stories I could tell! Raymond was the spun off Reids photo from Reids pharmacy.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

What store was that?
I worked for "Reids Of Haslemere" for a while. Oh the "Mr Reid (Don) stories I could tell! Raymond was the spun off Reids photo from Reids pharmacy.

Shamu, it was the London Camera Exchange, we had a branch in Guildford as did Raymond Reid.
I worked in Salisbury, Bournemouth, Fareham and finally back to Salisbury with LCE.  

IIRC Raymond Reid was going to give the PDA (Photographic Dealers Association) a talk on running a successful business but shortly before he was going to do it he went bust! 
Mick
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 6:35pm
Yeah, he took over that from another company that went T/U. "Cambridge Canmera", maybe? There were 3 stores, Guilford, Birmingham & another one I don't remember in the Home Counties, doubling Reids from 3 to 6. I forget who, they had a red iris diaphragm as the logo & imported Exa/Exakta into the U.K.
Didn't LCE also have branch in Bristol? On Broad St maybe?
Our Assistant Manager jumped ship & went to them "Before The Fall".
Raymond wanted an "American Business Model", that was one reason why Don kept the pharmacy totally separate because he doubted it would work in England.
I subbed for the manager in Haslemere after his skiing accident put him in hospital for several months. Beautiful area & way closer to Bisley too!
Did you have an Agfa rep called "Terry" who was a target shooter there? He was my Bisley Guru!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 2:37am
We had two branches in Bristol back then, and yes one of them was in Broadmead and very small. 

I'm intrigued by "Terry" being a TR shooter, I suspect he didn't do our area as our guy (John Kirby) would have lunch with us on early closing Wednesday's which his visits always (deliberately) coincided with.  
Casting my mind back I can remember being told of a photographic dealers shooting club in the early 1970's but believed it was just a group of enthusiast's who got together for just a plink. 
Back then the comedian Michael Bentine would stop at LCE Guildford with his pistols after shooting at Bisley and was happy to show them to the staff when they asked to see them, how times have changed in the UK! 
The M3 motorway has opened this part of the world up to make it far easier to get to Bisley than it was in the 1970's. 

Mick
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 11:15am
I think Terry had the South West as his area.
I'd forgotten Bentine was a shooter!
You're right times have changed & How!
Even here in the U.S.
I remember buying a No4Mk1(T) at a gun show in Allentown, PA in the mis 80's.
I got the rifle, some ammo a few chargers & a sling & was leaving the show with the slung rifle over my shoulder as I didn't find a case. The cop doing security asked to see it & I showed him. When he asked why I was so nervous I said "Because if I did this in the U.K. I'd be under arrest by now"! His reply was "Welcome to the land of the Brave & the home of the free"! Do you know where the local range is? Hug
I went back to the same show a couple of years back & got the whole "fish eye thing" because I exited the building to go for a smoke!
Cry
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 1:55pm
Back in the early 90's I took my two oldest (eight and six) children to a small VFW show on a Saturday Morning. 

Walked out with a cut down Enfield and a Carcano carbine with my children holding my hands. Two rifles on one of my shoulder, the Carcano slipped off and my oldest just put it on her shoulder and out the door we went.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

Two rifles on one of my shoulder, the Carcano slipped off and my oldest just put it on her shoulder and out the door we went.

Paddy, I've been told adoption agency's in the UK wont even talk to you if you own a gun of any type.

This whole thread demonstrates just how small the world really is! 
Mick
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 2:06pm
When we were 11 and 12, we would walk down the street with our .22 Cooeys on our shoulders to a farmers field just on the outskirts of town to shoot gophers. Around the same era in Grade 6 (1972'ish?), on "Show and Tell Day" a buddy brought his pump action 12 gauge Wingmaster to school. No one blinked an eye... man, I miss those days.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 4:00pm
Indeed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic