Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield muzzleloader rifle identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 7:57pm
see i told you we had more to offer than my meager bit of knowledge , i was always a cartridge rifle collector but got enamored with owning these muscates after acquiring a kentucky flintlock - the connection of the P1853 to our civil war made me want to go that way rather than the US service rifles ....i had sold all my US service rifles by then , 

anyway - enjoy that one 
Piston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 8:21pm
Oh wow! that is great! Do you know if they were referred to as an artillery carbine by chance? Are they pretty scarce or commonly found?
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 12:47am
The Enfield M/L rifles previously referred to are not carbines. They are Short Rifles as issued to the Rifle Regiments and sergeants. I attach photos of the Pat. 1853 and Pat. 1861 Artillery Carbines.

One could possibly say that the Pat. 1856 Short Rifles are the more common of the uncommon!

Piston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 4:54pm
Thanks for posting that! The bottom definitely resembles mine. 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 2:41am
The Pat.1856 Short Rifle compared to the Pat.1861 Artillery carbine. The length of the Rifle is 123 cms.
and the Carbine 101 cms.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic