Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY Sporterized Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY Sporterized Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter
    Posted: April 30 2023 at 6:01pm

Haven't been here for a while, but a long term project has recently come to fruition and I thought I'd share it with You Guys.

Back in 2014 I acquired a Rifle, which after some research turned out to be a "Parker Hale Deluxe Sporter."
Many of you know that Parker Hale bought up Surplus British Rifles after WW2 and modified them into Sporters that they sold mainly in the US and Canada.

These guns were divided up into two classes Standard and Deluxe .  The standard guns all had decent muzzles and only got the handguards removed and sling swivels . $65!  The Deluxe guns got 3" cut off the barrels to get rid of the wasted portion of the rifling near the muzzle caused by over cleaning. They also got a new PH Front Sight, Sling Swivels, and a 5 round Santa Fe Magazine. $75. The mag is worth more than that!

Mine was the Deluxe Version and it had seen better days.  It was also a Long Branch made in Canada and had a weird 2 groove barrel.

The build started by me sending the barreled action off to JES Reboring and it came back a .35-303.  Then I got Boyd's Gray Laminated wood for it, and since I had no way to cook it after Cera-Koting it, it went on hold,,, until last January.

I have developed a Relationship with Vang Comp (Purveyors of Combat Shotguns) in Las Vegas and they did the Cera Koting of this gun and another Springfield Sporter project that has been on hold for longer.

When they came back I got busy and assembled both guns and the Enfield came out nice, and I am currently working up loads for it with both 225 gr Sierra Game Kings and 200 gr Cast boolits from a Lee 358-200RF mold.

The other addition to the gun is a Redfield Receiver Sight with one of my Adapter Plates to attach it. Some of you might remember my L39 Replica that I attached a Redfield Olympic Rear Sight too a few years back? Same concept just a little different for a smaller sight. The adapter plate attaches to the receiver with one 6-32 Screw thru the left rear sight pivot ear, and a new longer Ejector Screw, thus requiring no mods to the gun at all.

Anyway here's some pics of the completed Rifle. 

Here's a pic of a completed dummy round, interested in seeing what the case looks like after fireforming.  Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 6:38pm
Awesome build man! Thanks for sharing!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
W.R.Buchanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 6:51pm
After hunting down my Thread on my L39 replica (On page 10!) I realized that Like Kamala sez There is great significance to the  passage of time .  I hadn't posted anything here since 2016 !

https://www.enfield-rifles.com/my-sporterized-4-mk1_topic7073_page6.html

Any way there's  likely a good ongoing" story behind this new gun, and I will enjoy writing about it as the significance of time passes into the "behind us," before we all croak! or something like that?

Randy
It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do.
Sapper740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 1:37am
That's a nice looking rifle!  I too am a fan of .35 caliber rifles and would be greatly interested in what kind of velocities you achieve with that that cartridge which looks like an 'Improved' round.  
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 3:55am
Looks great Randy, well done.  Let us know how it shoots.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 5:45am
Well done! I'm curious to see how it shoots, but it looks like a powerhouse round!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 10:12am
Nicely done! Welcome back!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Sapper740 Sapper740 wrote:

That's a nice looking rifle!  I too am a fan of .35 caliber rifles and would be greatly interested in what kind of velocities you achieve with that that cartridge which looks like an 'Improved' round.  

I have been going thru all my older Reloading Manuals.  Most people say that .35 Remington Data is the place to start.  I found loads in My Speer Manual from the 1980's with data with a 220 gr Speer Bullets and they got over 2100 fps easily, and this is in the smaller .35 Rem Case.  

Other Info I have gathered supports the 2100 fps figure for the Sierra Game King 225 gr bullet using various common older Powders.

All I did to that case was shove a .358 Win Expander Plug thru it to open it up to receive a .358 bullet. Fireforming will confirm the new chamber's exact shape.  JES told me that all he does is ream the bore to .349/.350 and then rifle it.  The chamber is only altered to open up the area where neck of  the case is.. The case used for the dummy round shown was a new Hornady .303 case. It is well known that most .303 rifles have oversized chambers to accommodate ammo made everywhere in the Empire. I asked if he had set the barrel back one thread and rechambered and he said no. Se we'll see after firing. 

As with regular .303's, these cases will get a Neck Size Only when reloaded.

Randy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 2:10pm
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 12:25pm
Shamu: there was another thread with load info I found in Google but I can't get it to come up here?
All my searches come up blank.

Randy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 4:44pm
Its AKA "35 Territorian", maybe that wil give you some different leads.
There's a thread on here about it, but its old & has no load data.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 9:13am
Shamu:  I have went at this on the Internet  from every angle with no success. 

I did find that Ellwood Epps has a Website and store in Ontario Canada and I called them this morning and they do have Load Data for that caliber since Ellwood is one who was credited with inventing the .35-303. They said they would forward some to me.

Should have something back from them in a few days and I will forward it to the site.

Randy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 1:20pm
All right! I went to the Epps site but didn't go further when i didnt find any there. Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.R.Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 1:51pm
Well still waiting on a Reply to my Email to Epps.  After doing a little research on Canadian Gun Nutz, I'm not holding my breath.

This place appears to be "poorly ran," and that is the very sugar coated version of what I read about on 11 pages on the subject on CGN.  

Anyway still looking for some good info on the subject of loading that caliber. The gun is down at the Engraver's getting the new caliber tattooed on the Barrel Flat in front of the receiver.

I will update as more info come in.

Randy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 1:54pm
Let me try something, stay tuned. It may be a few days.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 2:14pm
I looked up .35/.303 load data and stumbled across an older thread on the same conversion as yours. One gent used .35 Remington specs and another .35 (NOT .358!!) Winchester data. Don't know if this helps, but please use caution! Keep us posted!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic