Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member seeking knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeD.81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member seeking knowledge
    Posted: May 10 2023 at 11:17pm
I was given and enfield.303 from my mother who recieved it as a christmas present from her father when she was 12 yrs. old. Im 42 and have wanted this rifle forever. After my father passed i was helping mom go through some of his things. As we were cleaning out the closet i seen the rifle in the corner. To my surprise mom remembered how much i loved this thing and she told me to take it home and take care of it and enjoy it.
 Now from what i remember my grandfather got it from who knows where during the 30 years he spent in the united states navy. My mom has only fired it 2 or 3 times and my dad and myself have only shot a box of she!!s through it when i was about 14. Its been in the back of the closet since. 
Any info i can get would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Please excuse the how dirty she looked the pics were taken before i had a chance to clean her up. And sorry if i put the same pic more than once unloading is tricky. And i have more pics bbut they are the wrong format taken with my old phone and i cant seem to change it on my new phone.
Sapper740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 1:29am
Hard to tell from the pics, even magnified but it appears to be an Indian made Ishapore SMLE (Short, Magazine, Lee Enfield) No.1 MkIII*.  Clean up the butt socket and see if it is stamped 'GRI' for George Rex Imperatur which is how the Indians marked their Lee Enfields initially.  Obviously, the fore end has been shortened which is unfortunate and reduces its value to others.  It appears to have the British export stamps regarding proof tons but I can't make it out for sure.  Clean it up and send in some higher definition pictures with some contrast of the stampings and we can give you more information with certitude.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 3:54am
Can’t quite make out the date on the action body butt socket.  But yes, a sporterized SMLE. Couldn’t tell of the barrel was shortened too.  A full length barrel is a bit longer than 25 inches from bolt face to muzzle. 

If you intend to do a full strip of the rifle, make sure you read up on how to remove the forend, you can easily damage it by doing it wrong. The forend must be removed prior to removing the butt.  

Enjoy the rifle!

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 7:11am
It’s looking like a WW1 sporterized (as mentioned above) either SSA or NRF Peddle Scheme rifle to my eyesight so far maybe.
The Peddle Scheme marking mentioned can be found on top either side of the action wrist where the bolt inserts into the action. Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 9:08am
The light makes it hard to see the stamp but of it says "G.R." which I believe it does its not Indian. They'd stamp it "G.R.I.".
I may be wrong but I believe no Indian  made rifles were marked "ShtLE", but all were "SMLE" & "III"?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MikeD.81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeD.81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 11:53am
The best i can tell as far as the date goes is 1918. It has the crown and G.B. under it so its from Great Britain. Im trying to get some better pics but my phone is taking 7 mb pics as soon as i figure out hie to drop that to 3 mb ill post some better photos for u guys to look at. Thank you all so much for taking time out of yalls day to educate me. Ive been trying to do research on my own but with so many models and markings it gets confusing.
MikeD.81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeD.81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 12:01pm
Its about 25 1/4  from bolt face to muzzle.is it missing the piece of wood between the bolt face and sights. I see alot of pictures that have top piece of wood. And what actually makes it a sporterized model?
MikeD.81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeD.81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2023 at 2:28pm
I think im gonna leave it as it is for now other than a real good cleaning. I would probably hurt it more than help it and its not in to bad a shape considering its age. Im almost certain it says 1918 undse4 the crown
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 4:14am
Owning a rifle that has been in your family for so long is really great.
I think just give it a good clean, without overdoing it.
Make sure the headspace is within spec' and shoot it.
I would not try to return it to original; because that would remove the family history to some extent.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 4:36am
Originally posted by MikeD.81 MikeD.81 wrote:

Its about 25 1/4  from bolt face to muzzle.is it missing the piece of wood between the bolt face and sights. I see alot of pictures that have top piece of wood. And what actually makes it a sporterized model?

A sporter will have the upper handguard(s) removed and the forend cut back typically to the sling swivel band to expose the forward part of the barrel.  In some cases, the barrel may be cut back too.  

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 6:57am
Originally posted by MikeD.81 MikeD.81 wrote:

I think im gonna leave it as it is for now other than a real good cleaning. I would probably hurt it more than help it and its not in to bad a shape considering its age. Im almost certain it says 1918 undse4 the crown
Yep mate I will concur with Zed in leaving this one well enough alone as is with a little clean up.
Original 1918 barrel stamped,along with 3 matching S/N’s rear sight,barrel & action.
As a Peddle Scheme rifle either SSA or NRF (to be determined yet) not a rare bird but definitely not a run of the mill common MKIII rifle.
The stock disc looks original too,unsure about the (PW 1-20?)
The (2 EL 27) I believe reads 2nd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment rifle #27.
Cheer’s.

Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
MikeD.81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeD.81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 8:11am
I havent found any numbers on the butt stock but i did find a star just above the brass button on the stock. That leads me to believe it does have the original  wood. I just wish they wouldnt have cut it down to make a deer rifle. But u know how us americans are we just cant leave well enough alone and id be willing to bet that it happened in the good ol USA. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 10:06am
This is what your rifle would have looked like before being modified or "Sporterised" for hunting.
The rifle in the photo is also a 1918 Peddled scheme rifle; but this was modified to .22LR for training after WW1.

Here is the stamp on the rear of the receiver. SSA is for Standard Small Arms.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
MikeD.81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeD.81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 10:23am
I dont see any markings on my rifle in that area. I posted some different photos of all the markings on it. Maybe someone can zoom in and be able to tell if its a peddle scheme or not. All the info everyone has given me so far is amazing. You guys dont get enough credit for all the knowledge that you all possess. I cant think yall enough
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 10:29am
The letters under the "Royal Cypher" (crown) are those of the Monarch ruling at the time, not the country. G.R. is for King George V (Georgus Rex) in Latin.
Its rather lightly struck but you might find it with a magnifier & a glancing light?
It does (indirectly) point to it being British, not Indian though because in India it would be stamped "GRI" denoting he was also Emperor of India.Wink
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MikeD.81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeD.81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 10:37am
You guys are exactly right i found the ssa by the bolt just had to get it in the right light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic