Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sight Measurement Increments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScopeSpartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sight Measurement Increments
    Posted: May 16 2023 at 6:57am
So, I have what I believe is a SMLE. It has a pop up sight in the back with an adjustable toggle wheel for varying distances. I believe it is called a grenadier sight, but I could be wrong. My main issue is that it is graded, but I don't know the units. It has numbers, but no notation of ft., Yds., M, etc. Some help please?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 10:58am
Welcome to the forum ScopeSpartan. 
If you are referring to the sight I have pictured here, it is referred to as a MkI micrometer sight  and it is graduated in yards, from 200 to 1300. It was typically used on the No4Mk1 and No4Mk2 Lee-Enfield rifles...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2023 at 11:37am
Fitted to the No. 4 rifle, the Mk 1 type rear sight has 1 minute of angle elevation changes per click of the elevation screw.  This moves the bullet point of impact 1 inch per 100 yards.  

I've also read that this sight has elevation adjustments of "50 yards per click", but that is not entirely correct.  Particularly not at the mid to long ranges.  Pretty close around 100 to 300 yds.  The examples I have will typically allow the slide (the part with the aperture that moves) to bottom out at two clicks below the 200 yard index mark which would represent 100 yards.  

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 4:09am
I think a photo of the rifle and the sight would be useful.
If it's an SMLE with the sight at the rear, it could also be a MkV variant.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 8:50am
Zed, I don’t think the Mk V Rifle backsight had an elevation screw as the OP described.  They were similar to the No. 4 Mk 3 and Mk 4 rear sight with a catch to release the slide.   

I can’t remember where I read the Mk 1 singer sight had click adjustments of 50 yds per click.  Might have remembered that wrong.  There are of course, index marks on the backsight leaf at 50 yard increments.  

Picture would help.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 9:48am
I'm thinking that's a description of the SMLE rear-sight, all-be it worded a little oddly?
The regular sight does fold up & maybe he's confusing "the grenadier sight" with the accessory "Volley Sights"? (not shown) on the side of the rifle?
O.P. do they look like this:

If so each number is 100 yds "2" = 200, "3" = 300 & so on. The thumb wheel changes your range in (IIRC) 10 Yd increments. You can also push in the (rather stiff) button & just slide it for a "rough" setting.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:51pm
Yes, you may be right Shamu…
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 2:27pm
We will just have to wait for a response from the OP for clarification on this one it seems...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 5:54pm
Yep. Not everyone comes here daily.
The posts will still be here in a week from now.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Sapper740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 1:14am
Are you referring to a sight that looks like this?

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 5:50pm
He said "Pop up", so I'm not thinking a P-H #5.
Maybe one of the folding BSA/AGP/AJP offerings though?

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 6:18pm
thats a really nice backsight , have to appreciate the fine adjustments , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic