Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Enfield Markings Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Shobbs Shobbs wrote:

Just looked and it has a 2 groove barrel

Another indication it is likely original.  How does the bore look?  Do you have a borescope?  
Shobbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 8:47am
I have a book on the Enfield that helps with collecting and you are correct that it was a simplification done to go to only 2 grooves. When I disassembled the rifle for cleaning yesterday I also saw that the stamps on the barrel had the LB logo as well which makes me believe it is an original barrel. The only part that I'm not sure on if it is original or not is the cocking piece which appears to have the savage S stamped on it. I know savage and LB shared parts occasionally, but there is no way to know if that was at the factory or later as part of a quick refurb in the field. There is no FTR mark anywhere so I lean towards it was a part shared from Savage. Overall I'm really happy with it. When I saw the condition of it I definitely couldn't pass it up. The wood is beautiful. Thanks for your assistance on this :)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 6:58pm
i wonder if this rifle was designated for in country use , there was a concern back then that either the german or the japanese might invade - in fact both did to a very limited degree , neither were successful and both were dealt with but  , it happened and we here little to nothing of it because they were unsuccessful , yet i know our railroads and banks were armed as well as coastal areas i dont know a lot of the Canadian protective services but i suspect they didnt differ much , there is a lot we do not know yet by simple markings on ours you can guess that a lot of other industry was provided for , 

ours were mostly revolvers and such yet the commonwealth looked a little differently on things , the ausies had a bigger concern back then and they issued rifles , i have one of those , 3md no1 mkIII of 1915 vintage BSA , 

this may well be one of those but i do know the canadians used a lot of our M1917s for this purpose so i wonder at a new no4 being assigned , its a part of this collecting that gives us the interest in commonwealth items , in these days of all our turmoil one wonders if we might fair as well in such a time , used to be - there was a "rifle behind every blade of grass" as a warning to those that might venture , its still true here for now but how much longer can we claim that ? 

i will have mine in one form or another , but i dont relish relying on that muzzel stuffer over the door , it stands watch with its compaion handgun but they are relics of our revolution if truth be known , not even up to civil war standards , so far the arsenal is greater than that and the ammo is good right now if i dont shoot it up , 
Shobbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 9:06am
I'd be interested to know as well. It is stamped with the England mark which from what I have read is a British mark they put one when Exporting the rifles so it definitely was in England at one time. One of those things where you wish the gun could tell its story of how it ended up here and I found it in a tiny little gun store in Michigan in beautiful condition.

I have another piece like that and I wish I could know the story behind it. I found a beautiful nazi lions head parade sword in a tiny little antique shop in the middle of nowhere on sale for 300$
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 9:01pm
i think a lot of war memorabilia is seeing daylight as the WWII gen are going quick , those that inherit dont respect whAT THEY INHERITED - i never thought id say those words , my father was of that generation , that means im now old , he is gone and yes i get it that its how things go over time - yet , having grown up with the WWII generation as my parents , it still seems like only yesterday with them , i have much of what my father had , 

it was a different time , i dont think kids today even think about afgan war or iraq these days let alone those things of the past , i remember my grandfather and i having long evenings looking back on the civil war in his collection of info , that was in his memory as a kid growing up like i was after the war and when things were changing and people were forgetting - they will learn if life keeps going as it is , 

all that said - my youth at home was WWII and a little later because of my uncles ,  korea , mine would have been VN ...life intervened and im still here respecting those that served , i saw it on TV news - those before me got letters and western union , so much the youth today can never appreciate , 

its part of why i shoot the CAS i do these days - i hope no one forgets we once depended on wells fargo to transport mail - there was no text or E-mail , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic