Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s your faverite bullet weight ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:29am
OK to stay on topic I should firmly say that Enfield rifles are useful as bear protection.
There was an article in the Seattle Times last summer, not only do bears have a good nose, they have pretty good eyes and a keen memory. One had developed a taste for a local beer (Ranier Ale) and would break into cars where the beer was visible. In several cars, he left 6 packs of Budweiser but took the Ranier Ale.
Ed
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:46pm
Hey! I read bout that! They even had a commercial bout that on T.V a while back!(Wait a minute....ya don't think he was TRAINED, do ya?)
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:54pm
Hoadie, the dang things are smart. I saw video of Yosemite park where the bears could recognize the "pop out" rear windows on mini vans, and did indeed pop them out. Insert claws, twist, and in the van in 10 seconds. They can also recognize what an ice chest looks like under a blanket!
Ed
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:11pm
Oh yeah.I KNOW theys smart!.Ever seen one around a bait barrel? You aughta hearthe stories I get from the Ministry of Nat Res. rangers!!
If you look @previous page, I talk bout file footage they showed us when I wuz a cadet(before we ended up in the wild).
The fact is - they got brains to go with that muscle!
I dunno if you ever hunt for bear, or hunt where bear is, but you REALLY get a funny feeling when the dog smells bear, sits down & starts shakin!!!
(Thats when your glad you got your trusty L/E!!)
Did you see the news videos of that guy trapped in his cabin last spring - bein attacked by POLAR BEARS !!?
Hoadie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:04pm
I suppose when it comes down to it Bears are of the Pig family & pigs are said to be one of the most intelligent animals ! I recon that you'd be wel armed with a .303 & 180 gn bullets though to take one on. I would say they would expand enough to do the Job.

Dave
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:51pm
Yeah - Polar bears are MUCH bigger than blacks - & the Inuit(Eskimos) have NO trouble puttin 'em down with gov't ammo.They're issued L/E's by the Cdn gov't, along with ammo.(Believe it or not-THEY are supposed to be OUR northern line of defense!)
Course, why N E 1 would WANT to invade thru the north baffles me.We should just put a customs station upthere, & if N E 1 wants to invade in winter, customs could tell 'em,"sorry-we're closed.You'll have to come back in spring." That should give us time to get the YANKS up there!
Although, the Inuit DO prove they're worth, quite a bit.They're always the ones to save your bacon when it comes time for military exercises.They're also the ones that (somehow) seem to know where a plane has crashed & usually are on site before S & R can find 'em!
But they sure get a charge outta Black soldiers when they're up there for exercises!Everything is WHITE.Snow, parkas, sleds, boots, even your rifle is wrapped in white.In the middle of it all, are these black faces.They find that an endless source of fascination.& they LOVE to get the Black guys to laugh.The big white teeth & big white eyes in that venue just cracks them up.
hoadie
Dukeoflawnchair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukeoflawnchair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:11am
180gr you say...has anybody shot Igman .180 softpoints?  They're the only box of .303 Brit's that I can find out here for less than 15$...
Defend your right to arm bears!

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's a chain that I beat you with if you don't do what I say...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Dukeoflawnchair Dukeoflawnchair wrote:

180gr you say...has anybody shot Igman .180 softpoints?  They're the only box of .303 Brit's that I can find out here for less than 15$...

This is the reason I advacate reloading the .303 as there just is'nt the sources of what I feel to be flexable ammo avalible ! Igman is a brand unknown to me so I really can't give a opinion on them but I'm sure one of the other Canucks will be able to help on this one!

Dave
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 12:15pm
Right-O, I usually buy Remington, or Winchester - factory loads. I PREFER 150 grn.People will argue with me. Always sayin: If U MUST use .303-use 180grn.So I do have some 180 grn in inventory. But theres Always 2-1 150 grn vs 180 grn in the cabinet.
As a re-enactor, we used to host an event outside of Rochester.N.Y.(They still do) N E way-few years back, we started having an interunit shoot.150th Ny,144th Ny vs 22nd Va.Once the tourists left,we'd have a competition.Stipulation: Must be military issue, No scopes, No autos.The prize:a keg of beer. I wold bring my 1916 L/E(Vimy Ridge vetern).
The 150th & 140th started to complain.:"your not gonna bring that AS*H**E with that stupid British Rifle again, R U ?!"
Well, it don't take roket science to figger it out!
We were gettin drunk - every year - @ they're expense!
Most yanks just don't understand the value of the Enfield!(Gets back to their:NOT INVENTED HERE mantra.Damn near cost us the war!!)
But I digress...Most places sell .303 Brit@ $18.00(Cdn) box 20.
So,If U R gonna shoot alot - do like Dave says...Buy a loader etc.
Hoadie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic