Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to figure out Just what I have

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC Royal Crown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to figure out Just what I have
    Posted: January 01 2008 at 10:16am
My Father in-law and former hunting partner recently passed away & willed his unborn grandchild (my Daughter) all of his Firearms.  In the collection is what looks to be an older WWII Type Rifle.  Just curious if it's a rarity, something to Case & never use, or something that can be regularly Hunted with etc...  I never saw dad hunt with it, and frankly didn't know he even had it until we cleaned out the old house.

it is stamped, below the receiver:
No 4 MK I *
Long Branch

Below the safety:
England
43L1969

Top of the Receiver is a Star with a crown below it & the letters BNP

Only thing on the barrel:
BMP-303 2-222"
18-5 tons per sq "

Bolt stamped:
6L1934

Clip is stamped:
Z1994

I'm a new member so if there is a way to post photos, let me know & i'll be happy to pot a few.

Thanks for all and any assistance you can provide.

KCRC

Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 10:55am
You have a nice rifle made in Canada just outside of Toronto during WWII. I usually see the England marking next to the caliber stamp as an import marking, it could be a stamp showing that it had been refurbed at some point in the UK. The other markings tell you that it is safe to use with the "new" ammo of the day. If she shoots straight and the barrel isn't too worn, she would be a great rifle to take out hunting. I should let you know that some sticklers will want you to call the clip a magazine....just between you and me, I know what you mean.Big%20smile
Get some
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 12:22pm
ROOO! How are we EVER gonna teach these heathens ANYTHING-if you keep enabling them?!
The PROPER response is:"what clip?Is there something clipped onto your RIFLE?"
I s'pose you'll humour them when they call them "strippers", too?
Geez Roo-methinks you bin livin Stateside too long! (Its OK-I'm goin over tomorrow..Hey Al-anything ya want me ta pick up while I'm there fer ya?Got enough Grits for a while?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 2:27pm
gday KC RC,
like Roo said.
hey  you got yourself in your hands ,the start to a beautiful addiction that pretty much will sap all of your spare time,money,and love (hence i have now been allocated the couch to be a permanent sleeping quaters) Star
Hoadmeister, do you mind grabbin some more southerner appetisers for me? does it come in 20kg (roughly 50 pound for you old school guys) hessian sacks? or 40 gallon drums. man ive got a taste for that stuff.

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
KC Royal Crown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC Royal Crown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 3:52am
Thanks for the advice, the info & the correction, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa!  Again, My Hunting arsenal comprises of several Shotguns for upland bird hunting.  Only Long Boomer i personally own is a Remington 7mm Mag

Looks like i'll be running to the local gun shop to pick up some .303 ammunition & fire this baby up over the weekend so see how straight she shoots.

Thanks again for everyones help and opinion..
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 4:25am
KC Royal crown,

1st of all sorry about your father in Law!! I hope you and your family are doing well. I see our fellow brothers have pointed you in the correct direction. You will find your Enfield is highly accurate and a pleasure to shoot. yes pictures can be posted here and we look forward to seeing them. Enjoy the forum and welcome.

CM

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 7:23am
KC find you a posting site for free photo posting download your pictures there copy then past them here. thats what I do.
Nice of your Father in law to leave the weapons for the young ones.
My son has his Great grand fathers .22 Rifle that his great Uncle cut his teath on . and also he got a pirougue (carved wooden boat used by the Indians in this area years ago,also called a dugout canoe by some. )  Oh Yea! Its pronounced -Pee - Rog -     
The Pirouge was carved by my Sons Great grandfather and Great-Great Grandfather on my Wifes side.
But hey ! enjoy the site and welcome abord Bud! You will love it here. and like it was said earlier ,You will catch Enfield Fever in not long.
Dont worry it leaves you in a Blisfull state of euforia, all you need is plenty of ammo and a place to shoot!!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 8:46am
welcome , sorry to hear of your loss , i must commend you on the accuracy of listing the markings , it was an excelent transcription ,

your mea culpas are quite acceptable as a newby - and particularly as a fellow yank[in the revolutionary sence-not the civil context i might add] gotta realise it gives our commonwealth bretheran something to pick at , but alas if your going to teach that young lady what she has inherited , might just as well get all the proper terms ,

thats sounding like a fine rifle , does she still wear her full uniform wood ?
looking forward to the photos

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic