Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.50 caliber Enfield!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .50 caliber Enfield!
    Posted: December 08 2008 at 12:05pm
Really, I am looking into building myself a .50AE Enfield #5.

Picked up a suitable magazine at the SAR show, pressures are OK.
Donor guns is one of those Golden State Arms fakes.
Waiting to hear a price on the barrel from Montana Rifleman.

Might even make a few available for sale in the future if it works out well.
At over $3.00 a gallon for gas, I want it leaded, 100 octane, and my windshield washed!
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 12:47pm
Why not eh mate Thumbs%20Up
But the winters coming,

And the snow will cover tracks,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

- Sarah Blasko, The Gardens End
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Richard/SIA Richard/SIA wrote:

Really, I am looking into building myself a .50AE Enfield #5.

Picked up a suitable magazine at the SAR show, pressures are OK.
Donor guns is one of those Golden State Arms fakes.
Waiting to hear a price on the barrel from Montana Rifleman.

Might even make a few available for sale in the future if it works out well.

The .50 AE is an over rated round that it’s ballistic characteristic are inferior to that of the .500 Linebough or the .460 Ruger. Or even the .500 S&W. plus these calibers are easier to fine ammunition for. Also with the Ruger you can shoot .45 Long Colt and .454 Casull
Richard/SIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 5:51am
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">The .50 AE is an over rated round that it’s ballistic characteristic are inferior to that of the .500 Linebough or the .460 Ruger. Or even the .500 S&W. plus these calibers are easier to fine ammunition for. Also with the Ruger you can shoot .45 Long Colt and .454 Casull </SPAN>
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm OKAY, but you miss the point.

Those rounds have excessive pressure and oversize dimensions to be used in a modified version of my .45acp adapter.

The .50AE appears to be a fairly simple project, feeding from a magazine, not single shot.

It may not be the Insane Thunder round a .500 Linebough or the .460 Ruger is, but it won't blow up the gun either.

I'm building it, if it works well the next one will probably be suppressed.
At over $3.00 a gallon for gas, I want it leaded, 100 octane, and my windshield washed!
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 6:52am
The Enfield reciever will handle 45,000psi which is far greater the any of those pistols, and the reason for loud bangs is the short barrels. If the action your building is questionable you should re think its design

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 12:14pm
My action is fine, I tend to err on the side of caution.

The other rounds are still too long to work with, have no suitable magazine, etc.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Richard/SIA Richard/SIA wrote:

My action is fine, I tend to err on the side of caution.

The other rounds are still too long to work with, have no suitable magazine, etc.

There is a quote that is Music to my ears ....... I tend to err on the side of caution ! Too many times I have seen or heard of people who failed to abide by those simple rules !

Yes there are rounds that probably sh*t all over the 50 AE ,But ! It's up to the individual the choices he or she chooses ! It's what makes us as shooters so interesting

Dave   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 10:04am
Got the barrel, bore is big enough that if I ever point it at any scum they will be able to see the bullet in the chamber without squinting!

Chamber reamer price is a bit of a shock, now I have to make more of these just to justify my expenses.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 3:02pm
Just got another batch of .45 adapters made.

I'm holding six back from the anodizers until they are modified for the .50 AE conversion.

I will only sell five, I'm keeping one for myself. 
I will probably make a suppressor for it eventually.

I think that since these are such a limited production item I may number them so that future collectors can brag on their low number gun. Wink

Heck, I may even custom engrave them with the buyers name.

Now all I need is catchy name for the beast!

Hmmm, maybe "Enfield Beastly .50" would do it?

Suggestions? (Oh boy, I know I'm gonna regret asking this!) Ouch
gavelwacker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavelwacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 6:57am
My take on it: If you are going to go for a .50 cal, then use a .50 cal BMG cartridge. Granted you only need to buy 1 round, just remember to invite your worst enemy to the range and let him/her have the "honor" of firing the test round! Wink David.Wink
"CLICK" is a BAD thing to hear.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 7:31am
.50 BMG Enfield?
It's been done! Wink

Saw one for sale a couple of years ago.
What they really did was to make the Enfield nothing more than a sear mechanism.

The .50 BMG round was inserted into the chamber, a double threaded cap holding a floating firing pin was screwed on, creating most of a giant zip gun.
The assembled barrel with a live round was then screwed into the front of the Enfield receiver.
Cock the bolt and fire. Ouch

I like mine better! Smile

I've just completed the modifications for the first adapter, just need a spring loaded ejection plunger to finish it off.

I hope to make an MPEG of this one in action.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 5:10am
All done except having the modified mag adapter anodized.
Bit of thump when shot, but not too bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 1:29pm
SOLD! Smile

Will build more later, or at least one more for myself.
Have a fancy stock tucked away for it too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic