Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.303 bullet ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I've never heard of-or seen-any animal known as the .303 Epps...& I live in Canada(I can prove it,by all the snow I'm under!!)
Hoadie(the Snowman)

Mate. The Epps is defiantly a Canadian born Round  From what I can gather as I have never seen the round in the Flesh ,is that it is a 303 brit blown out to increase case capasity & has a much straighter case  Steve Redgwell is the Bloke to look up about it .

Dave
Cottage Hill Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cottage Hill Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 3:44am
Even though this is an old thread I'm going to throw in a summary because this thread shows up when someone searches on some of the .303 variations.
.303 British - .311 diameter bullet - A UK and Commonwealth military round used in the Lee-Enfield rifles and various other military weapons from 1888 until the 1980s. (in some countries) Popular in Canada as a hunting round because of the avaibility of surplus Enfields after WWII.

.303 Savage - .308 diameter bullet - A sporting cartridge developed by Arthur Savage for his model 1899 lever action rifle. Ballistically similar to a hot 30-30 but was factory loaded with a heavier bullet. Very popular hunting round in the US and parts of Canada from 1899 until the 50s/60s. Gradually lost ground to the 300 Savage and then the 308 Winchester rounds. Now hard to find factory ammo.

.303 Epps - .311 bullet - A .303 British variation invented by Canadian gunsmith Ellwood Epps - Not seen much outside of Canada, similar but not identical to .303 Improved

.303 Improved - .311 bullet - A .303 British variation with reduced case taper

.303 Sporting - .311 bullet - Shortened .303 British case to circumvent various laws banning ownership of firearms in military calibers. This may be the French version.

7.7X54R - .311 bullett - Australian version of .303 Sporting
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 5:47am
Yup. "Back in the day" It was a popular pastime making "wildcat" Improved rounds by blowing out existing cases into something with a bit more powder capacity, & so a bit more velocity.

Look in old reloading manuals & you'll find all sorts of "Improved" cases with exotic sounding names like "219 zipper, improved" & so on. There was even a joke designation the ".22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer", which was a real cartridge!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic