Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#4~Removing "tapered pin" ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #4~Removing "tapered pin" ???
    Posted: January 14 2009 at 12:25am
Is there some trick, other than the obvious, for getting the pesky tapered pin that holds the rear sight pivot out?

On every other rifle I've had this is just carefully driven out from below with a pin punch.

This sucker must be welded in thereStar
VAnimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAnimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 1:01am
Soak it in Kroil overnight, then try it.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 7:21am
"Kroil"   That stuff it great!!!!!! I use it removing stuck fan blades off condensor fan motors on Air Conditioners. Works very well. I'm sure it will desolve the rust and debris and ease removal of that pin
airforcediver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforcediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 7:45am
Just, remember anything that dissolves rust will dissolve metal given enough tme, so don't put it in the kroil and leave for the weekend.

My, buddy lost a good knife to CLR
If all else fails call in a MOAB and call it a day
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 10:04am
I'm thinking I need to dissolve the original "Suncorite" paint as that seems to be what has "glued" the pin in place.
Obviously I'd like to do as little damage to the finish as possible as this is the Like New Enfield.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
VAnimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAnimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 10:29am
Kroil.  Overnight, tops.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 10:50am
tell me how this went - and im really glad your around "brown knees " it makes me feel as tho i know someone :>}
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 12:38pm
Iirrc, I put the flat edge of a small screwdriver blade in the groove below the pin, and then tapped on that until the pin raised. I then pulled it from the top with pliers.
Ed
airforcediver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforcediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 1:06pm
I would do that with one of mine, but not with the one Shamu has.

AFD
If all else fails call in a MOAB and call it a day
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 3:19pm
Why do you need to remove it?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 8:00pm
Iirrc, I put the flat edge of a small screwdriver blade in the groove below the pin, and then tapped on that until the pin raised. I then pulled it from the top with pliers.
Ed
I tried that, riht after I broke my small punch! That's when I realized that just poundin on it was not oin to work.

Horror of horrors! StarI'm thinkin' of scopin' it.
The idea is to use a no drill no tap mount so I can easily swap it back to oriinal condition if I want to. But to do that I need to pull the pivot from the reare site.
With irons this rifle has the potential for excellent accuracy, but my old eyes dont.
(sorry about typos the "JEE" key seems to have died.Ouch
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic