Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battle and flip-up rear sight do not agree.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle and flip-up rear sight do not agree.
    Posted: March 22 2009 at 7:53am
My No.4Mk.2 has been carefully sighted in with the battle sight. That's really what I use when carrying the rifle about my property. I tried the flip-up sight, and it hits about four inches to the right of the battle sight at 100 yards. That much of a difference makes the flip-up unusable for me. Is this a common issue? Was this ever fixed on issue rifles? I suppose I could drill out the small aperature and fit a section of metal with a hole so it's properly aligned. Any suggestions?

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 8:13am
Is it a milled or stamped version. You may want to check and see if it is twisted slightly if its a stamped version. That is common and will throw off your P.O.I.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 8:42am
It's a milled unit, and shows no sign of damage. It has the rotating adjustmen screw that allows very fine elevation adjustment.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 2:35am
Shift the front sight to the right with either a brass drift or if you have 1 the sight adjustment tool.OK it means the volley sight is out but you can use the ladder sight at 100 yards.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 2:41am
That will work Tony use adjustable sight on all shots. Good call
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 7:35am
Thanks, but I use the battle sight all the time, so I'll stay with that. Where I live 100 yards is a long shot. In the summer I often carry a 12-gauge double "coach gun" loaded with slugs. Encounters with my "bad neighbors" (big mean furry things) tend to happen close-in and suddenly.
I'll work up some way to modify the "flip-up" to hit to the same point (in windage).
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 6:38pm
Smokey have you checked if it is leaning to one side? When it is flipped up?
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 10:18pm
Is the pivot pin loose or bent?? The volley sight is a larger aperture than the leaf sight are you positioning your head correctly when using the leaf sight??  Just a few general questions that may help to get to the bottom of things.

The big mean furry things??? You met my ex mother inlaw then???
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

ducaninfrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2009 at 11:28pm

Battle and flip-up rear sight do not agree

Well, don't let em talk to each other then Ouch

Duncan.

A DAY WITHOUT WINE IS A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE

I don't drink water, fish fornicate in it!

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?

W.C. Fields.
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 12:44am
Ducan LOL that was a good one
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 7:21am
No sign of damage, bending, leaning etc with the "flip-up, the two aperatures are just out of alignment for whatever reason. Apparently this is not a common problem either. Guess I'll come up with a fix.Shocked

Tony, does your mother-in-law look like a bear, mountain lion, wolf or moose? Wink

Duncan, I'll be sure to keep them both from being in use at the same time! LOL
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 8:07pm
She used to look like a wild PIG!!! Same temperament too!!!Evil Smile Once told her if she was in India she'd be sacred. That fell on stony ground. Cry The old bat got hers when the divorce was going through she'd been a bitch to me and kids she ended up brown bread Dead within 4 days of going into hospital. PROOF there is a GOD after all.     
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 7:35am
Tony, OUCH!!! Some people do get what they deserve.

What I'll do is modify the flip-up peep by drilling a large hole, then fastening a section of metal with a small hole, so it's properly aligned. I've actually had good results using "Crazy Glue" to fasten things onto sights. Holds up through a lot of shooting. I did a fully reversible modification to a 9th series Izawa Type-99, to raise the front sight enough to hit point of aim at 100 yards by "gluing a section of nail on, then filing it as necessary.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 9:23pm
I remembered I have a set of jeweler's files. I'm using a small round file to "adjust" the aperature. This approach let's me do a little at a time. The aperature is getting larger, but still is smaller that the battle sight.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 7:51am
OK, the aperature is a little larger now, but the rifle hits point of aim with battle and "flip-up" sights. I did try using the flip-up while checking on my property, but it tends to snag on things and is slower to acquire for fast shots. I'll use the battle sight while walking around, and the flip-up when I stay put.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic