Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Name your Favorite Vietnam era Aircraft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name your Favorite Vietnam era Aircraft
    Posted: March 24 2009 at 6:31am
Mine is the F4 Phantom
oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 9:58am
AC-130
UH-1's

Being that I am an ex-U.S. Army Infantry Scout (Recon) (but not a Vietnam Veteran) I truly appreciate any aircractf capable of getting me and others fat out of the fire.

P.S. Loved the Huey but never took a shine to the Blackhawk.

Love your neighbor as yourself.'...Mark12:31
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke22:36
Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 10:08am
Second for the Phantom....pretty to look at as well.
I have had a couple of rides in the Sikorsky....they were ok, but not Vietnam era!
I have to say the good ol Herc is still pretty good as well...been in one or two of those as well!
Get some
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 11:20am
B47 Canberra.
But I'm prejudiced.Clap
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 5:40pm
I always did like the old Douglas SKYRAIDER(brought out of mothballs for the purpose).
Phantom was so UGLY it was beautiful!(Proof that if you put enough power behind it,a bus can fly!!)
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Stan the Gunman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan the Gunman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 4:37am
Thumbs Up Puff the Magic dragon aka Spookey, the C47 gunship!
Guess I'm a sucker for machineguns...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 7:23am
The C-47 (or DC-3 DAKOTA,as we call 'em) dates back to 1937..& theres STILL quite a few flyin as we speak!
I flew one from the 2nd seat back in my Cadet days.Quite an experience..they are a little "different" to be sure.
Hoadie
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 12:23pm
They C-47's helped win WW II for sure 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 11:16pm
A real workhorse-then & now.Carried paratroops in every theatre,towed gliders,towed targets,hauled supplies & dignitaries,& on & on.When the Welland Canal is in its hieght of operation,the Coast Guard flies one along the canal. Lake Ontario to Lake Erie & back.They look for frieghters polluting the waters,missing boaters,(grow ops along the shore ) all kinda stuff.You can hear 'em a ways off...but there is NO mistaking teir sound,to be sure.
Hoadie
thresher_593 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thresher_593 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 10:05am

A lot of great planes from that time period.

C-47 "Puff The Magic Dragon"

C-123 Provider

C-130 Hercules

F-100 Super Saber

F-105 Thunderchief

F-4 Phantom

A-4 Skyhawk

F-8 Crusader

AD & A-1 Skyraider

What great bunch of Iron!

Hiding out in the Northwest corner of Southeast Ohio
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 10:28am
I'm surprised no one else went with the "Herkey"
It's the only one still doing active service.Clap
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 12:57pm
Was not fun to ride in....but the ride to where you were going was not really supposed to be fun was it....

Get some
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 12:40am
I'm not so sure many would consider the F-105 (Thud) Thunderchief a very good platform.(@ least not if ya knew the history behind it)
Now the CF-105 on the other hand(the famous ARROW)..now THAT was a kite!! Tactical aircraft are just NOW reaching her speeds(Mach2+).Considering today's technology wasnt around in her day...think of how much MORE she could've achieved! The U.S. designed the SPARROW missle system for her(Look where THAT went!)Oh man! she held SO much promise...
They installed a monument in Barry's Bay to the Arrow & her Chief test pilot.Everytime the Snowbirds fly in the area they ALWAYS do a pass over the monument in missing man to pay tribute..
WHAT A KITE!!
Hoadie
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 3:15am
Thud was an excellent aircraft
airforcediver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforcediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 4:57am
Originally posted by thresher_593 thresher_593 wrote:

A lot of great planes from that time period.

C-47 "Puff The Magic Dragon"

C-123 Provider

C-130 Hercules

F-100 Super Saber

F-105 Thunderchief

F-4 Phantom

A-4 Skyhawk

F-8 Crusader

AD & A-1 Skyraider

What great bunch of Iron!

I concurr but would like to ad of course

the last of the P-51's

and of course Huey Gunships, becuase well allknow the only way to make a Helo cooler is to make it do barrel roles or give it a sh*t-ton of armament.

AFD

If all else fails call in a MOAB and call it a day
Stan the Gunman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan the Gunman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2009 at 4:59am

B-52s anyone? Their still doing service too!Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic