Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yikes! That milsurp is 68 yrs old...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolted_down Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yikes! That milsurp is 68 yrs old...
    Posted: June 15 2009 at 11:21am
LOL!
Had 500 + rounds of '41 Canadian Mk VII given to me by an oldster at the range who nearly fell over the first time he saw my '55 Faz on the firing line.
Embarrassed
Sweet ole guy...
Don't have the nerve to put any down range, though. The stuff has gotta be corrosive primed...
 I pulled one of the cupro-nickle pills and found a green ring of tarnish from the brass along the crimp line...and cordite loaded, to boot!!  So, I think it hasn't been stored very well over the last nearly 70 years.
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

The bullets are beautiful, though!!  Coming out with a kinetic puller without so much as a single mark on 'em! A short trip through the tumbler and they came out simply GLEAMING!!!
  Make for some great reloads I'm thinkin'.

Opportunity is missed by most because it usually comes knocking at the door
dressed in overalls and looking alot like work.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:02pm
Just be careful using a kinetic hammer! There's an anvil in the primer and it can detonate the cartridge! I have posted this comment before following a near miss by a guy I shoot with who was doing exactly that! HE was lucky apart from a shattered hammer and dirty underwear he got off scot free YOU may not be so lucky.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

bolted_down View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolted_down Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 5:44am
hmmm...
Thanks for the advice Tony.
I guess I'll move the pulling operation outdoors for the rest of them.  Already wearing safety glasses...I'll add muffs, a long sleeve shirt... and maybe my welding hood to the dress code, too.

Ouch

Opportunity is missed by most because it usually comes knocking at the door
dressed in overalls and looking alot like work.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 7:22am
I'm using a kinetic puller for my old Mk VII ball as well. I use a bullet seating die to push the bullet in slightly first though. That "loosens" it up so it comes out a little easier.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 7:40am
I drilled out one of my old mill-surp casings and I hit the anvile and it threw my drill bit off. I found the anvile is made into the casing itself...with the primer seated on top.... must be why the one went off on your Bud  Tony
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 8:38am
I've been experimenting with old mil-surp casings by drilling out the primer, and seating shotgun primers. Shotgun primers can't handle full rifle pressures, but they work fine with more moderate loads. There's no problems with ignition!
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

I drilled out one of my old mill-surp casings and I hit the anvile and it threw my drill bit off. I found the anvile is made into the casing itself...with the primer seated on top.... must be why the one went off on your Bud  Tony

I can't say for sure exactly what happened Rhino. All I do know is he was taking cases apart with a kinetic hammer using the back door step as an anvil for the kinetic hammer. Luckily his young kids were in the house out of the way when it blew on him. As I said in my previous posting he was hellish lucky apart from some minor cuts from the flying plastic dirty underwear and shock he was ok. The neighbours weren't impressed though Big smile. In Liverpool the houses are all very close together some are actually joined in blocks of 4/5 called terraced houses with small back yards so if the cat stamps its feet everybody knows.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 8:00am
I think I have a collet bullet puller around somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. I consider myself suitably warned.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:43am
Smokey I was just wondering about using My old Mil-Surp brass to make shot shells for My .410 Enfield.... I have a Boat Load of them so I could make a bunch and they fire form better than the good brass and I would like to keep My good brass for Re-Loading rifle ammo instead........
It looks like the shot shell primers are tapperd.
Do you have a good way of drilling them out that is easier than fighting the anvile after the primer comes out?????
I need to make a bushing to drill them out from the other side...........
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 8:34am
Remove the old primer however you can do it.
Use a primer pocker swaging tool (for getting rid of the military crimp) to flatten the berdan anvil.
It should then be easier to drill out more or less centered.
sabretech2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabretech2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 4:19pm
Do you have an ex-wife?

Just a thought.

LOL
No4 MkI*, Savage 1943,
FTR (F) 1954 Mk1/3
No4 Mk2 ROF(F) 5/50
No2A1 RFI 1966
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Smokey I was just wondering about using My old Mil-Surp brass to make shot shells for My .410 Enfield.... I have a Boat Load of them so I could make a bunch and they fire form better than the good brass and I would like to keep My good brass for Re-Loading rifle ammo instead........
It looks like the shot shell primers are tapperd.
Do you have a good way of drilling them out that is easier than fighting the anvile after the primer comes out?????
I need to make a bushing to drill them out from the other side...........

Rhino there is a link, "I will have to find it if I can" about reloading using 209 primers, show what drill bit size, how to remove old primer, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic