Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a soldier and his ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unrealpara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a soldier and his ammo
    Posted: July 05 2009 at 9:39pm

during WW1/2 how much ammunition would the average foot soldier have to cart around with him to suit a M1 or a enfield? im searching the net a bit with no luck, i can only guess it would be about 100 rounds but anyone with the extra wisdom please share.

.303 lithgow No.4 Mk1*
Imagine pure concentration and precision at 750 yards. That’s Me watching You!
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 11:27pm
I believe the WWII "Tommy" carried two bren magazines (30 rd ea.) in one of the two "Basic Pouches" and at least 60 rounds in the other. Additional rifle ammunition would be carried in bandoliers and in a pack. I think we're looking at more like 200 rounds each.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 1:28am
Plus grenades Smokey usually 2/3 Mills 36s.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 3:04am
Tony, maybe you can help settle this:
Did riflemen actually carry rifle ammunition in the "basic" pouches, or was it primarily Bren magazines and mills bombs?
If so, how was his basic rifle ammunition carried?

I don't see any other pouches for carrying ammo on charger clips:

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 6:21am
Ahhhhhh...........Dr Mills #36 "wonder Pill"Clap
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:57pm
Put me down as ignorant, and willing to admit it!

How and where did the typical WWII British Rifleman carry his rifle ammunition?

Was it strictly in bandoliers?
Was it a combination of basic pouch and bandoliers?

I'm making the assumption that he actually used his rifle, and needed easy access to ammunition for reloads.

I have a Pattern 37 set, and it can hold a considerable amount of ammunition, but NOWHERE have I been able to find the manner in which it was supposed to be filled! Shocked
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 3:12am
Platoon is divided into 3 sections each section has a bren Paras usually had 4 brens/ platoon. Ammo is carried in the pouches plus genades, Spare mags for the bren carried in left hand pouch. Ammo was issued in clips placed in the right hand pouch (with the chocolate bars and fags Big smile) extra ammo was supplied in cotton bandoliers. Yes they hold a lot of ammo but when bren mags were empty they needed a refill 28 rounds/ mag leave 2 out to avoid jams and straining the spring. That equates to 5 clips/mag for the bren at 600 rounds/minute it can eat ammo. 
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 4:46am

The M1 Garand bandoliers carried 6 eight round clips that equal 48 rounds. Now how many they carried? I was told was left up the the soldier up and above the min required.

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 6:18am
Tony, Thanks.
So the left pouch held two Bren magazines, was there any room left for a grenade?
In the right pouch, how was the stuff arranged?
Grenade on the bottom and rifle ammo on top (till the pouch was full)?

I get the impression the riflemen were there to guard the flanks and refill Bren magazines.Confused

The US cartridge belt had ten pockets, each held one Garand clip or two charger clips for the bolt actions. Add bandoliers to that for the US ammo load.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 7:19pm
Possibly. I'm not that old we didn't have the old issue gear! 
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2009 at 9:57pm
Found an excellent site about British web gear, virtually everything you wanted to know seems to be here somewhere:

(Including answers to my questions on what goes into the stuff)
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 6:06am
I have an E-Mail exchange going with the research team at the "Karkee" site. They're digging into the issues of the Pattern 37 kit as actually used (different from regulation in many cases).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic