Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.303 vs deer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charly45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .303 vs deer
    Posted: July 22 2009 at 8:08am
In my limited exp. the 180 grain corlok drop them right now(2)deer ,im trying the 150grain speer this year we will see what happens.anybody use the speer 150s???

Im here to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum,   and im alll out of bubble gum!!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2009 at 2:40pm
I always use 150 gr for deer.I use 180 on moose.
I dont load my own (yet)..I use commercial loads.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
charly45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charly45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 5:43am
Anybody use 150 speers or any other 150 on deer??

oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 8:56am
Until I get a bit more brass for reloading I use Federal Power-Shok 150 grain soft points right out of the box. Not what you were looking for as an answer but maybe a little helpful anyway.
Love your neighbor as yourself.'...Mark12:31
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke22:36
VAnimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAnimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:16am
Stay away from Federal brass.  It sucks, to put it mildly.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:39am
Humm .303 vs a Deer? the deer would lose
oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 10:28am
Originally posted by VAnimrod VAnimrod wrote:

Stay away from Federal brass.  It sucks, to put it mildly.

Warning warning thread hijacking in progress!!!LOL
Thanks for the input, but please tell me why Federal brass sucks. I really want/need to know. Thanks VAnimrod. 

Love your neighbor as yourself.'...Mark12:31
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke22:36
Richard/SIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 2:15pm
Guys, a 125 gr. bullet kills deer just as dead as any other round.
The light recoil is nice too.

All I've ever needed, it's really all about shot placement.
The biggest baddest round in the world still wounds if the shot is poor.

At over $3.00 a gallon for gas, I want it leaded, 100 octane, and my windshield washed!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 2:37pm
I find that 30.06 seems to do too much damage to the deer.(@ least @ the distances I'm shooting)
.303 in 150 gr has ALWAYS done well by me(for that matter-well placed has yielded quite a few parteidge,as well)
The 180 gr seems to hit moose with all the "UMPH" req'd..even tho its usually longer distance than deer.
But like I said before -I use factory loads out of the box till now.(If I ever get thru this day-vorce thing,I'll commence to loadin my own.) I wonder what grain I should use on those pesky,treetop huggin C-130's that buzz my place
Hoadie
charly45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charly45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:16pm
Hi,what brand 125g bullet do you use?from my reading they are.310s for the 7.62x39.But they are in my reload book at about 3000fps,so they would be good if accurate.
charly45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charly45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I find that 30.06 seems to do too much damage to the deer.(@ least @ the distances I'm shooting)
.303 in 150 gr has ALWAYS done well by me(for that matter-well placed has yielded quite a few parteidge,as well)
The 180 gr seems to hit moose with all the "UMPH" req'd..even tho its usually longer distance than deer.
But like I said before -I use factory loads out of the box till now.(If I ever get thru this day-vorce thing,I'll commence to loadin my own.) I wonder what grain I should use on those pesky,treetop huggin C-130's that buzz my place
Hoadie

Hey hoadie im guessin .50 gatlin with incedinary rounds would work good on those c130s,i live in west virgina and we got the new c5s and i wouldneed a little more gun lol
sabretech2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabretech2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 3:15pm
.303 vs. Deer?

Depends. If the deer have French rifles, you should be OK. If they've got Mausers, then you might have a problem.
No4 MkI*, Savage 1943,
FTR (F) 1954 Mk1/3
No4 Mk2 ROF(F) 5/50
No2A1 RFI 1966
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 4:58pm
Well Charly-we bin gettin them C-5's as well.(They're flyin outta Trenton now as well.I imagine it wont be long afore they start to buzzin the trees @ my cabin with them.(Folks are correct in stating the 'skeeters are big there!!)
Those 130's knock the snow off the trees on ya when your tryin ta hunt...REALLY ticks me off
Hoadie
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Hoadie

Hoadie it is all about bullet placement. I use a custom hand load 150 gr federal ballistic tip. A shot into the chest cavity taking out the lungs and heart avoiding the shoulders results in minimal usable meat damage.

The .303 only being slightly ballisticly inferior to the 30-06 there will be damage of usable meat as well if the shot is not well placed.
charly45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charly45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 9:55pm
MR.COOKIE

are those 150 bts the nosler type in .308??How do they shoot out of the enfield??Smile
charly45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charly45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 10:02pm
               Also on the 303/3006 comparo.I get 2800fps with 150 grainers and 2600fps with the180s
     with handloading with acc2520 out of my 25in barrel.Of course i loose about 200fps with my   18.5 jungle carbine but still more than adiquit.So only 100fps less then the great 3006.not bad in my book.and no critter would notice the differance anyway lolWinkWinkWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic