Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.303 vs deer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 4:38pm
I'm sure he'll be along toreckly,Rhino!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 1:59am
Don't you go leading the lad astray Hoadie! 
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

No4Enfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No4Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 5:31am
I almost didnt get into enfields because of the availability of ammo here at the time, Im dang glad i did, looks like it'll take anything i want taken LOL
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 4:42pm
It'll take anything you can hunt on this contenent
Hoadie
Huntermb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntermb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 2:47am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

It'll take anything you can hunt on this contenent
Hoadie
+1 on that.  It does the job and then some.
No4Enfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No4Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 11:52am
I sure do love the .303! 
airforcediver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforcediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2010 at 1:38pm

This is what happens when a Blacktail meets a 180gn pro hunter at 200yds with 36gn of IMR 4064 behind it.

He was facing the other way when i hit him and he was almost perfectly broadside, he moved all of 3' (prolly all do to the cartwheel effect Wink)

Oh and I hit him on the second day of Rifle Big smile

AFD

If all else fails call in a MOAB and call it a day
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 10:51am
HMMPH! Wasted meat there-looks like a lung shot-No matter(neck wudda bin better) but @ 200 yds..HATS OFF MATE!! Hopin Hatchet gets one with me this year-that'll be the cats pyjamas!!
Hoadie
airforcediver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforcediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 4:02pm
I only lost half of what Mcdonalds claims to be a 1/4 pound Wink  and yes double lung 

AFD
If all else fails call in a MOAB and call it a day
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 2:04am
Crap now i gotta figure out how i can legally hunt with a Lee Enfield here in Michigan. WE got a 5 round cap for magazines for hunting, But no cap for anything else so you can have as many rounds in your gun as you want, you just cant use it for hunting. I wonder if a plug would work (kinda like a shotgun), im gonna have to get on the horn with the DNR and see if that would be legal.

Also I gotta figure which of my Lee Enfields i would hunt with. I think it's between my savage No.4mk1* or my No.5 Mk1. Irons of course, None of my rifles have scopes on em.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:29am
Not sure if it's krectly legal there but there was an old trick where you'd pop the mag spring out, slide either 5 empty cases, or a pre-carved bit o' wood into the shell then re-insert the follower & spring.Lamp
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:55am
Have You tried looking for a 5round Mag ???  I have one thats made for My Fake No5 J.C.
It was given to Me after I failed to buy one some one told Me about .....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 6:01am
https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=171&idproduct=1311

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=380899

Try these places !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
cebal101 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebal101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:27am
Isnt that the same as using a pencil to limit the number of shells a shotgun can take Shamu?  It sounds like it should be cool, but I guess the key word is "should"  hahaha.  I dont know how legal or illegal it is with hunting rules though.  I hear they can get pretty strict.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:10pm
Pretty much a "bunny plug" for a box magazine. Check the local regs though as they vary from cross the "T", dot the "I" serious through "Whatever, Dude!"Wink
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 11:03pm
5 round mags are out there.Tend to be somewhat pricey these days, tho
Here in Canada, we have a similar law. BUT... I found that the M-1 Garand & the Lee Enfield are specifically EXEMPT from the magazine law.
I still only load 5 into the magazine, anyway.(If I cant take it with 5 rounds, I better give up hunting!)
Sold the Garand back to the U.S. Army numbe of years back, so thats no longer an issue, either.
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic