Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folding stock Lee Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shongololo1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Update:
I got a quick e-mail reply from the new owner. He's still on vacation travelling & will get me the info, send pictures when he gets back home in a couple of weeks.
He still has the rifle & likes it, but can't remember the details while he's a couple of hundred miles away from the rifle.

Film @ 11.Star
 Super thank you very very much.
Sorry for my late reply been a bit crazy around here these last few days.
Thanks again!
Springbok stuck in the cold
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 9:37pm
My buddy is back from vacation & sent me a shed load of pics so here you go.
The folder used was made by Choate Machine & Tool, but he doesn't have the exact model number. Unfortunately as he's passed away the original owner's secrets are a bit hard to uncover.
Maybe you can ID the exact model from the pics as there are several of them showing it from different views.

The barrel was shortened quite a bit & it's described as "Quite accurate, once dialled in, but a fire-breather" Not too surprising in a carbine length 45-70LOL

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 10:38pm
That is not a bad looking stock.
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2009 at 8:12pm
Wow, that looks like a complete mongrel of a thing to shoot... I would still have a go if offered LOL 
But the winters coming,

And the snow will cover tracks,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

- Sarah Blasko, The Gardens End
Shongololo1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shongololo1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 3:43am
Thanks Shamu
And say thank you to your friend as well.
I can see why this stock will be the one to go with, it rides below the bolt handle so you dont need to worry about it being in the way of the bolt handle.
The bubba'd rifle I have now has a 20" barrel but I think I am going to cut it back to 18" The flash will not affect me much for what I have in mind for this gun.
Now the quest for finding that same stock begins...
I will update you guys when it's all done.
Cheers
Shongololo
Springbok stuck in the cold
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 3:53am

Has the metal been cut or altered?

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Cookie Monster Cookie Monster wrote:

Has the metal been cut or altered?

On the folding stock, or on the rifle?
It looks like the changes were limited to filling the socket in some way & then adding a large washer or round plate to give the buttstock something solid to fit against. A couple of the close up pics of the joint seem to show a wood or other filler in the socket behind the big round "recoil plate".
Knowing the guy who did this if he altered anything it'd have been the front of the hinge on the folding stock, in case he needed to change the angle of a stock that wasn't designed for an Enfield.
To me the pics show an unaltered reciever, anyone else?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2009 at 12:02pm
If the metal has not been cut or altered you can return the rifle to its original state
Kodiac400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodiac400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 8:19am
Now that's a wild looking rifle if I ever seen one. Are rifles like that legal in Canada?
Richard/SIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 1:38pm
My take, and no offense meant, but-
1. It's scarcely any shorter than my collapsing stock set when it's collapsed.
2. It appears that the stock is mounted low to stay under the bolt handle, adding to recoil and muzzle climb.
3. That butt appears very narrow and HARD, like an old #5 butt, I suspect it will leave a mark! LOL

Let us know how it works out when you duplicate it.
At over $3.00 a gallon for gas, I want it leaded, 100 octane, and my windshield washed!
TRX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 3:55am
I'm not getting any pictures, just little blocks. Did the pictures go away, or do I need to do something special to see them?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 4:11am
They were old pictures hosted on a remote site & I needed the space for something else so they were deleted from the hosting site, just like the sticker says.
charly45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charly45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 9:36am
Hey guys just found this on gun broker
Im here to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum,   and im alll out of bubble gum!!
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Smokey Smokey wrote:

For short range use, the 45 ACP conversion with stiff handloads (to 45,000 psi) looks pretty useful.
It probably won't be too hard on the shoulder either.
Manufacturers of suped up 1911 style pistols like the Detonics found that standard ACP brass won't hold up well to these pressures, the web isn't thick enough. There are cases you can buy for a souped up ACP load , Not sure if Detonics is still around but a friend who had one of their pistols used a proprietary case for his loads.

The 1911 isn't a good pistol for hot loads anyway. When the design was revamped from an experimental .40 caliber the larger .45 chamber cut away a bit too much near the dimple like continuation of the feed ramp, this leaves an unsupported portion right at the junction of web and casewall.
Don't know if this would be a factor with the Enfield conversion barrels or not.

The friend with the Detonics pistol had considered building a more correct replica of the Delise carbine, but he planned to chamber his for the .45 Colt revolver cartridge and use a modded Enfield mag along with the shortened bolt body and exposed shank of the original design.
We'd discussed opening up the bulkhead and rails to allow a thicker walled shank so pressures could be stepped up a mite.

I have a usable No.1 action from a non restorable rifle, the face of the receiver ring was damaged and a standard replacement barrel won't clock in.
I've considered several possibilities including a Delise conversion, but I hope to find a barrel blank suitable for building a .32 Winchester Special, mainly because that cartridge and its twist is very well suited to cast bullets and lower velocity small game loads as well as the full power loads that exceed the energy of the .30-30, blanks big enough in dia for an Enfield shank with .321 bores with a 1:16 twist aren't a common item though.

mfezi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 10:26pm
I see these posts are from many moons ago.  Anyway, here's pic of a folding stock/pistol grip manufactured in South Africa for No 1 Mk3's and No 4's.  The stock is straight from our national service rifle, the R4 (similar to the Galil) but the rest of the components are specially manufactured.  The previous owner was obviously not enamored with the kick from such a setup, as can be seen from the foam taped to the butt.   Not sure who made them nor whether they are still being made.  At one stage these converted 'bakkie rifles' with shortened barrels were popular with farmers for security purposes but our new restrictive firearms laws have probably resulted in many of these being handed in for destruction (or sold by the police to criminals).

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 3:14am
I found this while surfing on another forum.
#5 Mk.II take down rifles.Hug
Yes there really is such a thing as a #5 Mk.II, strictly a development prototype thing but they did exist.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic