Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I checking the headspace correctly
    Posted: September 15 2009 at 3:55am
Hello Everyone

I need some help bad.
I need to know if I am checking the head space on my enfield correctly?

I bought 1 Go 1 No Go and 1 Field gauge I first took the bolt out and took the extractor out of the bolt head then put the bolt back in and put each of the gauges in the barrel and closed the bolt .
Yes the bolt closed all the way on all 3 of the gauges the bolt Handle\Knob  closed all the way to the wood I did not force the bolt to close it didn't take much for it to close.

From what I have heard and read that tells me all of the have bad head space and are no good.

Am I correct in what I am saying.

Thanks gpat001
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 3:56am

A "Go" gauge is the gauge that is used to measure minimum headspace. When you place the "Go" gauge in the rifle and close the bolt, the bolt should close and lock easily and completely.

If the bolt does close successfully then this tells you that the firearm has at least sufficient headspace. It may still have excessive headspace, but that is determined by the "No-Go" gauge.

If the bolt will not close on the "Go" gauge then you may not have sufficient headspace. This means you do not have enough headspace to chamber a cartridge properly and can damage the rifle if you force the bolt to close.

1. Clean the face of the chamber. There may be unseen gunk and dirt at the face of the chamber. I have owned many Mosin-Nagant rifle and carbines that at first were very difficult to chamber a cartridge. Only later did I discover (with the help of a flashlight) that there was gunk and dirt fused to the face of the chamber. Gunk and dirt that is so dark and hardened that at a casual glance, and without the aid of a very direct and bright light, it can be easily overlooked. After it is successfully cleaned and/or removed then it is quite possible you have eliminated the headspace problem and the "Go" gauge check should be repeated. If the same results occur then.....go to the second fix (below).
  2. Take it to a gunsmith. You need to have the rifle looked at by a gunsmith and the rifle will need to be modified or adjusted (possibly a chamber reaming, replace bolt parts, or moving the chamber face of the barrel closer to the bolt.) in some way to compensate for the lack of headspace.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 3:57am

"No-Go" gauge

A "No-Go" gauge is the gauge that is used to measure the maximum allowed headspace. When you place the "No-Go" gauge in the rifle and close the bolt, the bolt should not close and lock. If the rifle does close on the "No-Go" gauge you may have a problem that needs to be tended to by a gunsmith and may be an unsafe weapon to fire.

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 3:58am

"Field" gauge

If the rifle fails the "No-Go" gauge then you should measure using a "Field" gauge. A "Field" gauge is used to measure the largest possible safe headspace dimensions. When you place the "Field" gauge in the rifle and close the bolt, the bolt absolutely should not close and lock. If the rifle does close on the "Field" gauge you have a problem that needs to be tended to by a gunsmith and an unsafe weapon to fire.

If the bolt closes on a "No-Go" gauge but does not close on the "Field" gauge this means you have a rifle that has excessive headspace but is safe to shoot. Basically it will stretch the heck out of brass and good luck trying to reload

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 4:00am
What CM said. Can you tell us what Enfield you have, and what gauges you purchased? Some of the gauges are to Sammi standards, not military standard which is a little more generous. If the rifle is a No. 4, what is the number on the bolthead?

Ed
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 4:01am
If you are checking with Saami gauges then get yourself at least a milspec field gauge. You may find that it will be ok with this gauge.
When checking you are only looking for the slightest "feel". It is possible to push the bolt handle down sometimes on a rifle that is headspaced correctly, this does the gauge no good at all.
Make sure you are closing the bolt with the trigger pulled back in the fired position.
Does the serial number on the bolt match the rifle? If not then you should check the fit of the bolt first.

Arrowmark tool and gauge from Australia make exact replicas of the military gauges.
They are sold in the U.S but I dont know where. Go to their website.
Last time I looked they were about $105 Aust a set.

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 8:36pm
http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-October99.html
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Post Reply Post Reply