Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chamber adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smle cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chamber adapter
    Posted: October 02 2009 at 9:01am
   I'm looking to convert a .303 to .22 rimfire using a relining tube, any thoughts on ways to make transition in chamber area?Smile
TRX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 7:29pm
If you're going to solder or glue the liner into the barrel, just bore the chamber straight, make a bushing to adapt it down to .22 size, press it in, and do the usual liner install for a .22LR. I'm not sure how the LR's heeled bullet works, but you could surely get that information from whoever you're buying the liner from.

SMLE barrels are easy to remove. If yours is good, you might find someone who has a barrel with a nasty bore who might part with it for cheap.

If you want to do one of those field-installable .22 conversions, I have no idea how that might be accomplished... well, I do, but the amount of precision machining involved would make doing a .22 switchbarrel quite attractive. Same thing as above, except you use a properly headspaced .303 barrel and a properly headspaced .22LR barrel, and simply screw them in and out by hand, or with a rubber strap wrench. It's a fairly popular setup among benchrest shooters who live in places where it's not practical to own more than one rifle, and for people who shoot in more than one class, but don't want to drag a golf bag full of rifles around.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 9:13am
i agree , the bigger question is how are you dealing with the bolt ?
i think a canadian Cno7 bolt would be findable , but its a full length bolt so you will need to look at headspaceing carefully , not a lot to work with ,   

when i did this to my US M1903A3-4gery i had an old 22cal rifle that a machinist turned down to a sleeve and [3006]cartrige shaped chamber for me , i fitted it with an M2 bolt and headspaced to the bolt with a chamber extension , these bolts are shorter than an original M1903-03A3 bolt ,

the 'barrel' is 14" and its cfairly accurate

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2009 at 11:41am
Originally posted by smle cat smle cat wrote:

I'm looking to convert a .303 to .22 rimfire using a relining tube, any thoughts on ways to make transition in chamber area?Smile
I've heard of a removable .22 liner and rimfire bolt coversion for the Indian .410 Enfield conversions, perhaps something along those lines.

Boltheads and bolts for the .22 trainers were available from a Canadian site not long ago, forget which site.

Some conversions used a shortened bolt with rimfire bolthead and barrel insert that extended about 1/3 into the opening of the receiver, similar in appearance to the Delise .45 acp conversion.

There are .22 rmfire conversions that use a slightly tilted chamber to bring the rim in line with the centerfire firing pin. Those would not be easy to make.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic