Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

20 round Mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unrealpara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 round Mag
    Posted: December 29 2009 at 10:43pm

Not that I would ever have the need for a 20 round magazine, but couldn’t a competent gunsmith fabricate a new one or cut and extend the original magazine? I think it would look decent on a sporterized Lee Enfield? Smile

.303 lithgow No.4 Mk1*
Imagine pure concentration and precision at 750 yards. That’s Me watching You!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 10:44pm
With the case shape & the rim it'd look like a chauchau magazineDead
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 11:23pm
gotta agree - it would be a dificult job to do this in anything straight as in a double length box , i doubt it would feed reliably eather ,

as to needing or desireing the 20 round mag - i do and actually ive had need for the 30rnd in my ARs for three gun competitions here ,
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 1:20am
I'd like one for the FAL, but I live in occupied MD where such thoughts are naughty.Cry
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 4:12am
.........what about a modified bren gun mag ??
roger
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 5:44am
For the .303, or for MD, or for .303 in MDQuestion
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 5:44am
There was such a beast and yes it was curved like a bren mag.
I beleive they were all destroyed after the first war except a few. They would be worth a packet now.
They were called a trench mag.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 7:16am
hadnt thoght about one of thoser - that would be just the ticket ...............

"I'd like one for the FAL, but I live in occupied MD where such thoughts are naughty.Cry "
thats a shame - those are findable readily , i have a bunch
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 7:48am
I think a very few of the original 20 round mags are in collections.
One story was they were sent to Canada for use in one of the experimental conversions of either the Ross rifle or Lee enfields to autoloaders.
The Charleton had its own magazine so it didn't use the trench mag.

Could be one days someone will find a forgotten cache of the 20 rnd mags in some former arms depot in Canada. Some Maxim Guns were found in an old barn there not long ago.

There have been reproductions of the German Trench magazine for the GEW98, maybe some one will find old production drawings and make a run of the British trench mag.

Really though, a long heavy 20 rnd mag would get in the way. I had an SKS with the 30 rnd aftermarket mag, and kept bump it on stuff when moving about. I traded it even up for the parts to install the original 10 shot mag.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 8:42am
Did I ever tell you that I hate you, recently!Confused
Just wait till I move out of MD into a free state.
unrealpara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unrealpara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 8:59am
Sounds like its too much trouble than its worth then. "A square 10" thats one sweet pic you got there of your FAL. Im so jelious!!! Big smile I wish we could get those down here in the land of Aus lol.
.303 lithgow No.4 Mk1*
Imagine pure concentration and precision at 750 yards. That’s Me watching You!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 8:57am
Sorry to hi-jack this thread for a minute, but how about a 30 and loader ?

A mate of mine in the resrves had these.

roger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 9:04am
........your 30 rounder would look something like this

roger
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 6:15pm
I think those are SLR magazines. 
But the winters coming,

And the snow will cover tracks,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

- Sarah Blasko, The Gardens End

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 6:13am
.......Yes, they were for A square10.......we call them SLR, they call them FN......the picture below is the modified bren mags
roger
airforcediver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airforcediver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 6:57am
 Shamu least got to keep your FAL, so no mag complaints please. I had to give up my FNC1, cuz it's a scary looking weapon.Angry GHEY

AFD
If all else fails call in a MOAB and call it a day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic