Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catastophic failures in an Enfield rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catastophic failures in an Enfield rifle.
    Posted: July 18 2006 at 8:39am

Has anybody ever seen one, or had one happen to them? I never have but was wondering what could cause one.  Info like this could save someones life, eye, or even dignity.

Eric

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 11:31am
One of the most common faults is the over loading of Mk111s ! Rule of thumb is to not exceed the min load unless it states this data is for Mk111s failing that many loads will state reduce load by at least 2 grains for Mk111& Mk1V rifles idf no Min load data is listed ! Yes they do Blow up in peoples faces !

The other common fault which is not seen anymore (thank god ) was a practice of cutting the Tips of of MkV11 rounds to turn them into Dum dums over here ! People would cut too much off & the core would force it's way out & leave the jacket stuck in the barrel ! Resulting in either ajammed rifle Until it was cleared or ........Yeah well

Dave 
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 4:46am
I saw 1 . It wasn't an enfield it was an old savage. The locking lugs were damaged due to continuously using high pressure loads When the guy pulled the trigger the bolt shot back took his eye out and smashed his face.  He'd been warned the gun was unserviceable and only fit for scrap or a wall mount but he insisted on trying it out. He was lucky to be alive. It ruined everybodies day out and cause no end of problems with police questioning everybody. Sure brought it home to a lot of the guys who usually stoked their ammo up what could happen if they carried on doing it. Personally I have more respect for my guns and use the loading data.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 4:55am
I typically underload my rounds by a grain or two, depending on the powder. It sounds like that guy showed everyone a very valuable lesson... albeit the hard way!!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 5:17am
sounds like the old Canadian Ross rifle.They had a nasty habit of doin that same thing.Canadian troops were tossing them 1st chance they got, when they could get a Tommy's enfield.Finally the British gov't ORDERED Canada to chuck 'em, & use Brit issued Enfields.
If you wanna see examples of catostrphic failure..go to Springfield Museum.Boy, they got some eye poppers there!!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 11:13am
The most spectacular Blow up I've ever seen was a Shooter using 2 Rem 700's in 25-06 & the other in .308! He'd been using the 25-06 & changed ver to using the 308 ! Unfortunatly for him he forgot to change rifles Yep chamberd a 308 into the 25-06 & let rip ! THe result was a smashed face & burnt 5 layers off his right eye !

Dave 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 12:21pm
D'OH!!
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:03pm
geez!
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 12:39pm
Well I never seen an Enfield fail in person. But i seen one at a gun show that was for sale for spare parts. Some moronic imbicile decided to change bolts with out checking head space, yep you guessed it ruptured the case and damaged receiver along with the bolt. I picked her up for spare parts.

Cookie Monster
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 7:41pm

Other danger is shotgunners using 20 bores and 12 guage . A 20 will slip nicely down a 12 guage barrel and sit there until they shove a 12 gauage cartridge in. Very spectacular. Local gunsmith gave a demo when I was living in Yorkshire old 12 tied to a tree a 20 shell in then a 12 behind it. string to the trigger and hide behind a wall. It destroyed an old Baikal 12 he wanted rid of. The barrel split like a banana action total right off. Only thing that was salvageable was the stock.

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Other danger is shotgunners using 20 bores and 12 guage . A 20 will slip nicely down a 12 guage barrel and sit there until they shove a 12 gauage cartridge in. Very spectacular. Local gunsmith gave a demo when I was living in Yorkshire old 12 tied to a tree a 20 shell in then a 12 behind it. string to the trigger and hide behind a wall. It destroyed an old Baikal 12 he wanted rid of. The barrel split like a banana action total right off. Only thing that was salvageable was the stock.

Tony,
 I have seen the same thing we were at a traing class and the instructor showed us what would happen if we loaded a shotgun incorrectly.

Cookie Monster
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 10:17pm
there is  a shotgun on display at the skeet club..its in a glass case on the wall..both barrels split out half way down..looks like a train wreck.
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:46am
@ sprinfield museum-they have battlefield pickups that would blow your mind!! They have an example of what happens when you fire a regular bullet into the grenade launcher on the end of your M-1..They have examples of Springfield muskets that have 6 or 7 UNFIRED powder & ball charges stuffed down the barrel(heat of battle you get a misfire & re-load) then the next example is what happens when they DO go off!! You GOTTA see this place!
Hoadie
Dukeoflawnchair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukeoflawnchair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 2:12pm
The only moment of humiliation (and a source of much musing) that I've experienced was a malfunction that was caused by a bent feeding tooth of the magazine of a No4Mk1.  I bought the mag used and didn't notice the bending...which didn't seem to have any effect until the last round.  In short, the action jammed and the tooth gashed the hell out of the shells side casing.  The shameful part was that it wasn't me firing, it was me introducing that rifle to a friend who was trying to shoot his very first centerfire.  Trust me, I went through unhuman distances to more than successfully redeem the name of No4mk1's to this guy...

In an almost unrelated thought, is anyone familiar with the Ross Rifle?  This shameful Canadian straight pull .303 brit bolt rifle was later replaced by enfields...as it couldn't handle dirt or other service conditions very well.  Attemtping to guess the number of canadian boys who died with these buggers jamming before getting replaced...dunno. 

And in an almost similarly unrelated thought, there's an ad for an Antique Ross rifle in the local buysell.  I spoke to the guy with interest initially, but got sidetracked...  Anyhow, good condition for its age, works, good wood.  Located in Guildford, Surrey, BC.  100$  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ads been there for a while...so if anyone local's interested, post and I can send his phone number your way. 

Defend your right to arm bears!

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's a chain that I beat you with if you don't do what I say...
Dukeoflawnchair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukeoflawnchair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 2:29pm
Man, I grazed right over Hoadie's post there...sorry 'bout that!  Same shameful bugger...
Defend your right to arm bears!

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's a chain that I beat you with if you don't do what I say...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 3:46pm
If your gonna buy the Ross - DON'T FIRE IT!!! I don't care HOW good shape it's in..DON'T FIRE IT! (Well - I guess you can if you want..it IS -after all- YOUR face)
See previous "Hoadie" comments re: Ross rifle
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic