Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number 5 project rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number 5 project rifle
    Posted: April 01 2010 at 10:09pm
I am waiting on the paperwork so I can pick it up but its in a 'fair' condition.  The barrel is pretty dark, its got a scope mount (why!?) and a timber monte carlo stock.  Someone has cut off the bayonet lug (Grrrrrr!).  So now I am have a Number 5.  But in well, crap condition. 

So I ask you all.
Restore or Custom? 

I've tossed up a few calibres (min .30) with a red dot sight for a quick handling close country carbine .  But I don't know!

Lets call it "Enfield-Rifles Aussie Number 5 Project Rifle".  I put it to the people!
Amor patriae
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2010 at 10:19pm
Excellent .303 can we see some photos? Restore of course .303 IMO
Alan de Enfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan de Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 2:52am
There were 16,000,000+ Enfields made, of those only 250,000 (1.5% ?) were No5s.

It'll never be 100% again but you can get pretty close.
Pull screws into the tapped holes, grind off and re-blue, you'll hardly see them
You can get a 'new' flash-hider c/w bayonet mount.

It'll look 99%

Alternatively bubba it completely and make the remaining ones worth a little more.

Your rifle, your choice.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 4:19am
Theres no good excuse to rebarrel a No.5 to any other caliber than the original .303, a pre bubba'ed No.4 action would be an all around better choice for that sort of conversion.

Sometimes you'll see flah hiders advertised, still mounted to the cut off muzzle portion of a No.5 barrel. Shouldn't be too difficult to get one of those loose and use it to restore yours.

If the barrel can be lapped out thats an option, if not and no No.5 barrel can be found one might alter a No.4 barrel, cutting to length ,etc, and making the lightening flutes if you wished, but these wouldn't show unless the handguard is removed anyway.
Only a Five groove should be considered for this purpose, and not always available here but probably easier to find in the UK and former possesions.
An otherwise good No.4 barrel with muzzle wear or damage could gain a new lease on life cut down to fill in in for a carbine barrel.
A cutdown barrel removed from a sporter undergoing restoration to military spec might be another source.
Like as not a few phonecalls to gunsmiths in your area would turn something up.

Should you wish to convert to 7.62X39 these seem to be reversable conversions, if you tired of it you'd have a future project to look forwards to, and if parts for a full restoration came along the 7.62 barrel and other parts could be transfered to a No.4 action later on.

I've had my eye on a cutdown early production No.4 thats about half way through conversion to a No.5 clone. I saw the gun before the barrel was cut and in that case cutting away the damaged, bent and badly rusted muzzle was the only way to salvage the barrel. The fore end was also toast, whatever bent the muzzle had done for the forend as well. Otherwise that rifle had a lot of good points. The rest of the barrel was in very good condition, five groove, with a sharp tight bore and good chamber. The non matching bolt and bolt head were replaced by new condition replacements, resulting in extra tight headspace with long case life, and outstanding accuracy.

Were I to have run across that rifle in recent years I might have restored it, and been left with a orphaned barrel perfectly suited to a Carbine restoration project, along with a fre end worthless for any other purpose than trimming to a No.5 configuration.
So its not unlikely that similar discarded parts are laying around the back room of many gunsmiths who've restored No.4 rifles.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 12:43pm
im glad to know another no5 has found a good home - treat her right there were not many made in the big scheme of things and many are lost 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 12:59pm
If  you can order from the U.S. without Divine Intervention being required here is one:
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
.303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 1:13pm
I can get the flash hider a mate of mine has one (he has bits n pieces for EVERYTHING).  I can also get a 303 barrel from Sprinter Arms here in Oz they make really good barrels.  I can do all the finishing ie headspacing, and milling flutes etc myself so that'll save a few $ and keep the Boss happy.  The hardest part will be getting the timber and fittings.  I may require some assistance ie a US postal address and the parts being forwarded ;-)
Amor patriae
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2010 at 2:57pm
Your mate reminds me of a small store/gunsmith shop not to far from me. I bet he has No5 wood. He came up with an WWII manufacture replacement barrel  for a M1917 in the factory wrap! He is only open for sales on Tuesday-Thursday so I have to take time off from work (aka Mental health day) to go there. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
.303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 9:26am
Amor patriae
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 1:06pm
Looks like the fore end and handguard is intact.
You could probably sell that buttstock and scope mount for enough to score a good or restorable carbine butt or replica.

Whats the finish like?
.303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 2:17pm
Finish is very dark and pretty rough, I'll get better pics up ASAP.
Amor patriae
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 4:55pm
Well it looks pretty complete there mate.

Seriously, do whatever you feel like though.
But the winters coming,

And the snow will cover tracks,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

- Sarah Blasko, The Gardens End
.303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 5:32pm
Yeah so far I haven't even laid my eyes on the actual rifle its sitting in the shop here now waiting for me to pick it up.  BUT the NT police have LOST my paperwork.  BRILLIANT now I have to pay storage on the rifle and wait till a NEW application is processed.  Gotta love the NT!Angry
Amor patriae
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic