Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

butt stock removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trlucus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: butt stock removal
    Posted: June 20 2010 at 12:23pm
HELP:  Just got a No1 MkIII  BSA - Trying to remove butt stock however, instead of a large flat head
screw I see a metal object about the circumference of a dime with a small screw head in the center.
This is totally foriegn to me.  Anybody know about this ??Confused
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 12:43pm
Maybe a something stuck or on top of the screw. I had that happen to me once. Turned the rifle up and tapped until it fell out.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by trlucus trlucus wrote:

HELP:  Just got a No1 MkIII  BSA - Trying to remove butt stock however, instead of a large flat head
screw I see a metal object about the circumference of a dime with a small screw head in the center.
This is totally foriegn to me.  Anybody know about this ??Confused
Theres a soft washer of leather or felt over the end of the butt stock screw. This was to cushion the oiler when it rode inside the cylindrical opening in the butt.

You can snag this washer with a hooked piece of wire and pull it out, then you'll see the complete screw head and be able to get a grip on it with the screwdriver or auto tire tool which ever you are using to unscrew it.
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 4:40pm
Yes it sounds like the leather washer, as LE said, hook it out and remove the bolt.
Make sure you have removed the forend first as the stock bolt has a square which locks into a recess on the back of the forend. Failure to remove the forend will result in cracking it.
When you reinstall the stock bolt make sure you orient the square correctly or you wont get the forend back on without doing some damage to it.
trlucus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trlucus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 11:07pm
Guys: Thanks for the replys - It isn't the felt spacer, really odd, i've remobed a lot of butt sracks
and have never had this issue.  I have a replacement butt stock - thinking about cutting 8" or
9" off 0f exisiting stock so I can access this "odd" screw.  any additional input ?? 
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 11:34pm

As I expected Trlucus, it must me a piece of debris from something that was once stored in the butt stock as I noted in my first reply. Remove the front lower fore stock, the rear stock bolt should protrude thru the center band. On the end of that bolt there is a square end use a wrench and loosen the both from that side. If you have trouble with this procedure I can clarify the instructions for you. Do not cut your stock!Thumbs Down

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 12:28am
Do You know any one who rebuilds valves ..they should have a packing removal tool ..Various sizes ..it looks like a wine bottle opener at the end( cork screw) with a long flexible shank ..try that 1st ..but dont cut Your old stock ..If You dont want it some one else may buy it from You ..cutting the price of Your new stock down ....  " One Mans Trash is Another Mans Treasure "  Ive sold a few parts that many would have thought of as junk ..the persons who bought them were very pleased with them ...  Try looking at an Industrial parts and Tool house ..Like Standard tool or Van Horns ..... They may be even able to point You in the direction of a place to get them....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
trlucus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trlucus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 2:23am
Cookie monster:  I'll give it try - I do see the square bolt end protruding into rear of action.Tongue
Hawgeye View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawgeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 2:28am
You can take apart an ordinary metal coat hanger by untwisting the joint. Sharpen the end without the hook, straighten the wire and use the sharpened corkscrew to snag the washer. Much cheaper than a bought tool and works as well for me.
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 3:13am
Originally posted by trlucus trlucus wrote:

Cookie monster:  I'll give it try - I do see the square bolt end protruding into rear of action.Tongue

Remember work in reverse looking at the square bolt end turn clock wise. Which will rotate it down and out. Let me know you progress, this is interesting.
trlucus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trlucus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 6:37am
cookie monster: I want you to know I have dissassembled a gazillion SMLE's.  Remember when they first came into the states (mid fifties)  That being said, this still is a puzzle to me!
Loosened the square bolt from inside action - turned clockwise as far as possible without
losing the bolt.   Nothing happened! still see a disk with small screw head in center.  I have
never come accross this problem.  Thinking of a 10" shank small tip screwdriver (on ebay)
or 12" shank drill bit to see what  happens!!  Any more suggestions would be very much appreciated.Ouch 
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 7:07am
Pictures Possible ????
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:41pm

Ok that you have gone as far down as possible? You can continue loosening the bolt with a spanned wrench, you must fabricate this if needed. There should be a small space between the flats of the square end of the bolt and the round hold leaving a small semi crescent void, insert the spanned wrench into that area and rotate until completely off. Or what ever is blocking will now be released and fall out of the stock.

Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Pictures Possible ????

You know Rhino cannot read he needs pictures, 

Just Kidding Big smile

Pictures would be nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic