Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stock help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock help
    Posted: June 25 2010 at 2:21pm
Ok I was dumb and Lazy.Ouch
 It appears I ordered a No4Mk1 Forend for the  No4 Mk 1/3 I am restoring
I just had the sad realization that the forends are different. Can a No4 Mk 1 be modified to a no4 MK2  (1/3) type or should I Just bite the bullet and get a proper No4 MK II forend?
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 10:57pm
Interesting SW28fan don't know I would have to compare the two. let us know
sabretech2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabretech2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 3:20am

It's not that hard, actually. You'll need a hacksaw, a drill, and a sharp chisel. Look at pictures of post-war FTR'd MkI and MkI* rifles to see the patch they used for the conversion to Mk2.

And since the grain of the wood runs fore and aft, you'll need to do all the chisel work from behind (down, Hoadie!) so you don't mistakenly take out a chunk of wood you shouldn't.

No4 MkI*, Savage 1943,
FTR (F) 1954 Mk1/3
No4 Mk2 ROF(F) 5/50
No2A1 RFI 1966
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 5:36am
Whats the difference ??? I could go out to the Gun Shop and See if I may have what Your looking for and We could trade possibly ....  I just have never knew there was a difference till now ... Most of My No.4 wood is bought sight unseen and I dont really know what Im getting when I buy it ...
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 6:34am
The Mk1 has a solid rear end, braced by a sheet metal crosspiece.
Because of the brazed on hanger for the trigger the Mk2 ( & Mk2 conversions) have this area open as 2 sides divided by a cut in the center into which the trigger hanger goes.
The stock halves are clamped to the hanger by a cross bolt.

The easiest way to tell them apart installed is the reinforcing method.
A sheet metal bracket riveted to the wood is a Mk 1, a hole for a cross bolt & no sheet metal is a #2
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 10:39am
Well I broke down and ordered a No4 Mk2 Forend figuring I would put the best looking one on the rifle. There was also  the possibility I would screw up the conversion of the Mk1 to Mk2.

It arrived today and it is Blonde.

I am in love!Embarrassed

Now where can I get a blonde buttstock and handguards.

Have a Nice Day
madcratebuilder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcratebuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 11:59pm
Lot of them on evil bay, try calling Springfield sporters.
From my cold dead hands
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

The Mk1 has a solid rear end, braced by a sheet metal crosspiece.
Because of the brazed on hanger for the trigger the Mk2 ( & Mk2 conversions) have this area open as 2 sides divided by a cut in the center into which the trigger hanger goes.
The stock halves are clamped to the hanger by a cross bolt.

The easiest way to tell them apart installed is the reinforcing method.
A sheet metal bracket riveted to the wood is a Mk 1, a hole for a cross bolt & no sheet metal is a #2

Are You talking about the cross bolt you see on the Ishys ????
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 12:06pm

Have a Nice Day
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 1:35pm
Coping saw time
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2010 at 11:33pm
Thanks SW28fan , pictures are worth a 1000 words !
"White Rhino"

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 10:26am
Well I called Springfield Sporters and they said they have rest of the blonde wood I need. I received a box today with the metal 'bits and bobs' so by the end of the month I hope to be shooting it.Smile

Have a Nice Day
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 11:41am
Keep us apprised
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 1:43pm
The box from Springfield Sporters arrived. The buttstock is blonde and unissued and it required a bit of fitting but I think I have it right. The wood just got a coat of Boiled linseed oil and I shall put the rifle together tomorrow, pictures to followSmile
Have a Nice Day
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 10:52pm
Smile Great fan !
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 11:57pm
Here it is Completed:

Have a Nice Day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic