Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebirth of my Number 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebirth of my Number 5
    Posted: July 23 2010 at 5:22pm
Ok so after a 'few' hours work I have completed the restoration on my Number 5. Bear in mind I didn't want the high gloss blue look on the metal work, I've tried to keep it as original as possible to maintain the "Just got her out of the armoury for a day at the range" look. Anyway the pictures say it all really. Out to the range tomorrow to sight her in.

Before:

After:

I'd say its a bit of an improvement. Big smile
Amor patriae
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:25pm
Hell yeah!!
I agree, a definate improvement
.303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:41pm
This is what I had to deal with.  Black paint LOTS of it! Grease from 1945 I'm sure and gunge accumulated since this old girl was sold off.

Amor patriae
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 12:38am
Great Job!
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
bullseye0317 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullseye0317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 3:50am
that looks amazing!!
A US Marine Fights for
His Country,
His Goverment,
His family,
His Freedom,
Your freedom,
your family,
your country,
YOUR EVERYTHING,
But what are you fighting for?
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 11:22am
Well done sir!
Beerhunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by .303 .303 wrote:

This is what I had to deal with.  Black paint LOTS of it!

Although that was the rifle's original finish.
.303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 7:07pm
Not too sure about the paint on this rifle being original seeing as it obscured the serial number on the left of the receiver.  Leads me to believe that she's most likey copped a coat of paint when she was sporterised.
Amor patriae
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 8:04pm
Nope, Beerhunter is right.
The black paint was called suncorite and was the finish used on most British No4 and No5 rifles.
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Lithgow Lithgow wrote:

Nope, Beerhunter is right.
The black paint was called suncorite and was the finish used on most British No4 and No5 rifles.
...and on my #1 MkIII* that was FTRd in 1953. That is some tough stuff for paint.

How'd you get it off, and what did you use to refinish yours?
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 10:22am
Yeah its the original finish. It's what my no.5 has on it. I like the look of it personally. It's very tough stuff too.

Your restoration is quite the improvement on what it used to be. Good job.
Huntermb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntermb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 1:35pm
Yep I've got a No.4 and No.5 with it on it.  That stuff is amazing how it stands up.
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 8:18am
Originally posted by .303 .303 wrote:

Ok so after a 'few' hours work I have completed the restoration on my Number 5. Bear in mind I didn't want the high gloss blue look on the metal work, I've tried to keep it as original as possible to maintain the "Just got her out of the armoury for a day at the range" look. Anyway the pictures say it all really. Out to the range tomorrow to sight her in.

Before:

After:

I'd say its a bit of an improvement. Big smile

The after pic is the best, nicely done.

budman46 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budman46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 1:51am

i like how your no. 5 came out...i'm waiting for mine to be delivered.

i have a couple of no. 4 mk 1s that were clean when i got them, but i've taken an ishapore from "in-storage" shape to usable...not even my mosins were as bad, so it sghouldn't be too hard.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever
budman
ignorance is fixable...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 3:08pm
congrats - thats a fine job puttin her back in good nick 
Tailgunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tailgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 2:12pm
That's a very nice rifle.  Thanks for posting the pictures.
"If you can defeat the enemy within, the enemy without can do you no harm."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic