Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off to see the wizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 31>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 7:51am
D'OH!! Don't say "Blast"....it gives me the shivers these days!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 3:53am
Well, It`s here. This afternoon I`ll be on my way to Blighty. Land in A.M. there, & on our way to Normandie for the festivities. Looks like now - we won`t be able to make it there in time for the `modern` para drops..but we will be able to make the `VIntage`para drops.
We will be there for the festivities on the 6th. Juno, Sword Pegasus bridge & a few other sites on the schedule. (If there is time, I really want to see Omaha as well.) Was talking with my Federal member of Parliament yesterday (at the Decoration ceremony). He`s going to lay all kindsa Canadiana stuff on me to take along & give away over there. Should be a Bonnie trip!! (Long as the Rotten Commies don`t shoot me plane down!)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 4:26am
I'm going to Normandy the weekend after Hoadie; will try to spot his foot prints in the sand; as apparently he'll be gone back to BlightyCry
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 5:33am
My footprints wont be hard to spot...after all the wet weather we`ve had here " home...mine will be the WEBBED ones!!
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 6:40am
Make sure that you get there early as when I was in Paris 2004 (60th D-Day Anniv.) I got to hear the sad tale from a couple that were there to see her father receive an award and due to traffic tie ups. Seems they could not travel the last few miles to see it happen. To many heads of State were there. Security Forces everywhere. 
May you both enjoy and get to see as much as you can. Safe Travels 

Later 42rocker
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 8:29am
Vehicle permits must be obtained B4 we are allowed near the festivities
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 2:07pm
From a friend in the area:
"Apparently you can apply for a driver pass available from the town hall. One pass does all areas."
Beer

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 2:58pm
What happened to the couple above was they got caught on 2 lane roads and even though they had passes etc they were jammed up several miles from the areas they needed passes for. Just got caught in traffic. Glad to see that you are planning ahead. Enjoy. 

Later 42rocker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 3:04pm
You may find this useful if you're going.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 4:32pm
In a way I think that Hoadie is representing us all here on our site whom can't be there in person. Damn proud of ya Hoadie! Please take lots of photos to share with us will ya?! We will never forget the sacrifices given by so many during that conflict.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 6:30pm
Canuck , i often feel that way when those among us travel , there is so little time and opportunity for many of us to be there in some of the places a few of us get to , i am always pleased to see where others here have been , we do live somewhat vicariously here - thanks , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 4:31am
We were hoping to meet up with Hoadie on Saturday; when we are in Normandy for the weekend.
(couldn't make the 6th); But his friends are smugglung him back to Blighty on Friday evening.
So he'll have to come back next year!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 5:49pm
i would love to visit two places outside this country - first saipan and second Normandy , its on my bucket list , but first i am visiting so many of our civil war battlefields i remember from younger days then some of the indian wars , some of those are much closer 

oh and after that i want to go to Scotland and see where my ancestors came from , after that Germany - specifically the Alcestis Loraine , lets see if i live long enough and have the funds 
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 6:42am
May Everyone get to Live their Dreams. 

Today is D-Day. Take a second in review.  God Bless them. 

One of the Friends has been flipping a few pics back to us. Hope all there get to see and do what they wanted and planned. 

Later 42rocker
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 3:14am
Just back. To say it was impressive is an understatement.
Thousands (yes thousands) folks dressed in period uniform & dress. It was curious to see almost all were dressed in U.S. gear & uniforms..but were all FRENCH (no English spoken). No french re-enactors either. Thousands of period/historic vehicles.
I've never seen so many police in my life!
We had our pass, but it became useless to us really, as police would block off roads all over the area for "security". (Trump & Turd -O were coming).
I did manage to get to Juno beach, & was there to collect sand (low tide) from beach @ same time the 1st Cdn wave came ashore. (That was moving).
We weren't allowed access Juno Museum because Turd-O was coming. (Tried to reason w/security..he wasn't due for another 3 hrs & we wanted in & out - no dice). We weren't allowed to Omaha for same reason.
With all roads blocked - we probed other routes. That proved to be a God send.
Stumbled across small Commonwealth war grave site. In it were approx. 100 graves..some unknown. Back row was German dead. Front right was Canadians. I was looking @ them & one "jumped out" @ me. Friend of mine from child hood said his uncle was killed somewhere in France, but didn't know any details. Wait till I see Dave @ Legion Friday..his uncle's grave.
While exploring back roads - probing way onto the beaches, we turned a corner & corner of my eye caught something. We stopped & backed up. This little marker - in middle of nowhere, w/ no body or other sign of life around - is the site where Kurt Meyer (S.S.) murdered 66 Canadians of the Winnipeg Rifles (& 2 British) P.O.Ws. There was a French & Canadian flag above it..but otherwise seemed untended & alone.I placed small Canadian flag (my M.P. gave me) & removed my poppy & placed them in the small flower pot in front of the marker.
I was pretty choked up.
More later
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 6:29am
Glad you were Happy with the Trip. Made Good Times out of Problems. Way to go.
Looks like both you and my friend got back Safe. Great. My wife and I are meeting with him in the next few days and looking forward to seeing a lot of D-Day pics. 

Later 42rocker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 31>
  Share Topic