Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off to see the wizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 6:41am
Welcome back & thanks for the update.
You might find this interesting.
It seems Herr Meyer "got his":
Ultimately only Kurt Meyer, himself taken prisoner in 1944, was put on trial by Canada for some of the murders. Meyer was court-martialled in December 1945, convicted of inciting his troops to execute Canadian prisoners, and sentenced to death.

Meyer's sentence was commuted to life imprisonment by the Canadian government. He served five years at Dorchester penitentiary in New Brunswick before being transferred to a West German jail. In 1954, with Canada's blessing, he was set free"

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 8:27am
Meyer died young, but an ardent Nazi till the end. No remorse. Canadian General H. Foster was on the tribunal panel. General Foster has a rather impressive war record.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 9:06am
I'd expect nothing less from the Waffen-SS.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 10:32am
Pleased to hear you had a good time Hoadie. So did we.
We went to Arromanche on Saturday; got there early. Town was closed to traffic and we parked in a field that was temporary parking. Went on the beach at low tide; saw a lone Dakota flying around while on the beach. Visited Museum and then had lunch on the terrace at "La Marine" hotel. (Luckily for me this hotel is owned by a client of mine); and it's on the seafront. Perfect for watching the "Patrouille de France" display team. Which was 2 hours late! but worth it.

On Sunday it was straight to Pegasus bridge museum; coffee at "Gondre's Cafe" and while walking back to the car, a lone Spitfire circled the bridge. so that was cool. Then off to Ouisterham for the "Bunker Museum". That was interesting.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 11:46am
we were at Gondre's Cafe as well.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 11:04am
Will you come back another time to see more of Normandy? Best to come when it's not the ceremony week; so you cab get to everywhere. Even on the Saturday it was madness in Arrowmanche.
Patrouille de France were good though!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 3:25pm
my buddy (Frank) told me today he's looking at property in Normandie.
As for me returning...he!! YA!!(It's on my priority list)
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 6:42pm
Saw our friend that was there for it today. He said that they blocked traffic off 5 miles from everything and they had to walk in. There were Not allowed to use the roads had to go into the woods etc. He was at the 70th and the 65th and said he is not going back in 5 years for the 80th. He said he was done with it. He did bring and send back a few nice pics and if I can get them moved to the right place I'll post a couple of nice ones. Did you get any pics to share?? 

Later 42rocker
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 8:51pm
back to the cabin in the OP - is it far enough removed to afford your get-a-way to really give you peace and quiet ? i ask because i want such a place ...i need such a place , one where i can spend the day working on what makes an immediate difference in life like building a nice fire to enjoy a beer or two around with chosen friends , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 11:30pm
A Square, sometimes you just need a break! We all only have one life; you need to make some time for yourself before you have eternity just for yourself!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 3:01am
A SQ: The cabin is "out there". Dead end road..400 meter downhill drive...100 acres of woods...100 acres next door...100's of 1,000's of Crown Land...All ya gotta do is put up with the black flies til they burn off - then Bob's yer Uncle!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 10:22pm
sounds like heaven to me 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2023 at 12:25pm
Well it's official now!! Headin back to see Rhino in ole Louisiana! (The place just got back to normal from LAST time I showed up! )

20 May drivin down. Got real tired of shoppin round fer flights so I said screwit!! I'll hit Grand Ole Opry on way home again.
Geeze, its bin a while...dang covid!!
Gotta catch-up on all the stuff I missed!

Look out Napoleonville...I'm BAAACCK!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2023 at 12:34pm
I've been to Louisiana a few times when I worked. Didn't like New Orleans much but we visited a a small town called St. Francisville  that was really nice. And toured the plantation that was used in "The North and the South." Lots of history in that state!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2023 at 2:47pm
Which plantation was it - do you recall? We used a couple makin the mini-series.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2023 at 3:54pm
The one with no beer.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>
  Share Topic