Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My mystery #4???? Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthompson204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My mystery #4???? Help!
    Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:20pm
I have a few questions about my new #4 MkI. First, I was wondering if anyone can tell me where my rifle was manufactured, and is the "AL" part of the serial #? (SN- AL18433. you might be able to see it in some pictures, it looks like a BSA is stamped where the butt attaches to the reviever). Second, there is a threaded mystery hole in the reciever right below the CIA serial #(see pic). While giving my new Enfield its first cleaning, I removed the front furniture, and noticed a new date. It is stamped on the bottom of the barrel just forward of the reciever... it reads, "M 1956" and on the top of the barrel, it's stamped "BED" I think(see pic) with a broad arrow. The last mystery marking I found after removing the trigger guard. It's under the rear attachment of the trigger guard.... it reads "MME". I have looked all over the internet hoping to find what these marks mean and haven't had any luck. Most of the markings I have figured out, and I know many of the factory inspectors left thier own stamps on the rifles that wouldn't be listed on any web site. If anyone can help me out, I sure would appreciate it. I love my new (and first) Enfield and want to find out as much as possible as I can.... Oh if this rifle could talk. Thanks, KT
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:48pm

The threaded hole is where the ejector screw goes, Numrich, Springfield Sporters, etc. should have them.  A "L" in the serial number usually indicates a Longbranch but the serial number is to high for a No4 Mk1 they switched to the No4 Mk1* configuration  around 8000. Yours clearly is a No4 Mk1 (No Bloody *) from the picture.  Longbranches also have most of the parts marked with a LB mark. If it is not a Longbranch that would mean a Maltby or Fazerkaley. 

Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
kthompson204 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthompson204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 1:19pm
Yes it's definitely a No4 MkI (no *). I can clearly see that below the ugly CIA markings. It looks like it might say BSA, a very small stamp mark where the bolt slides in the reciever, but I'm not sure(see pic). Still puzzled about the two different dates on this too.. Thanks for the info. KT
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:23am
From what little I can see of the wrist, I would venture it's a BSA. Could we see a better pic of the left side of the butt socket? That hole on the side of the receiver is for the ejector screw, as SW28Fan noted. You will need to order one. Without that your rifle won't eject the brass.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthompson204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 2:23am
Here are some more pics. Thanks for the info on the ejector screw (already found one at Marstar). I plan on taking it to a gunsmith before I take it to the range (check the head space etc.) Any idea on the 2 different dates? or any of the other markings?
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 2:29am
Well, it was built in '43. I would say it looks to be a Maltby. If it was a BSA it would have M47 or M47C stamped on the butt socket above the serial number. Any other stampings..... beats me. Sorry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthompson204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 2:44am
Thanks for your help.
Alan de Enfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan de Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 2:50am
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

That hole on the side of the receiver is for the ejector screw, as SW28Fan noted. You will need to order one. Without that your rifle won't eject the brass.

Yes it will.
The extractor pushes the case to the left side of the rifle (on extraction), the rim them 'binds' on the action wall and as the case emerges from the chamber it is kicked over and ejected well before it gets to the 'ejector screw'.

The ejector screw is there to eject unfired rounds (ie drill rounds, or FTF rounds) as the additional length due to the bullet being in place stops the case being 'kicked over'.

If your rifle is relying on the ejector screw to eject fired rounds then either the extractor is damaged, the extractor spring is broken or there is a problem with a worn action.

The Enfield is perfectly safe to fire without the ejector screw in place.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 4:12am
And that is why I hit the forums.... learn something new every day. I knew the brass rides the action wall, but I always assumed it did so until it hit the ejector screw.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 5:12am
The charger guide bridge looks odd, as if a piece had broken away and a non standard piece was used to make a repair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthompson204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 5:35am
From the picture is does look that way. To see it in person, it looks more like something rubbed that spot (nothing around it shows signs of an old repair). That's why I thought something may have mounted to the ejection screw hole (possibly a scope or peep sight) and rubbed that spot for many rounds. Thanks for the reply. KT
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 10:43am
The "1" serial number makes it a Maltby, you can see part of the M next to the date. I'm not sure what the later date indicates, it doesn't look like a FTR mark.

Ed
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:20pm
i agree with most above - its definetly a mkI [no bloody star] it has a bolt release visible on the right top-rear of the reciever ,

i too think it a maltby by the marking , and the "1" ,

but im confused by the 4th photo of the left receiver - is this a santa fe ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic