Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enfield 1942 Markings..Sniper?? All codes match..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield 1942 Markings..Sniper?? All codes match..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Alan de Enfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan de Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield 1942 Markings..Sniper?? All codes match..
    Posted: November 23 2010 at 11:46pm
Cleaning will not loose you value but any sanding WILL.

Just use Boiled Linseed Oil to refresh the woodwork - no varnish, shellac etc.
Dont attempt to 'paint' the metal thats a big value destroyer.

Good luck and shoot straight.
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 8:20pm
Thanks Alan, iam definetly going to b square route. one last question as far as restoration..iam very familiar with staining and polishing, would it loose value if i were to clean it up and restore it to above factory conditions or would it hold more value if i just left it alone?
JG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan de Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 3:31pm
For a 'correct' scope you are talking US$1500 (maybe $2000) There have been some good copies available on ebay recently that have fooled people into spending $1000.

The scope mounting will be around US$500

If yours is not already drilled / tapped then it is not a sniper and for the average 'amateur' you will not be able to correctly fit the correct scope mounts - however - you can get a B-Square (no gunsmith) mount and add a modern scope quite easily
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 10:02am
nice kit alan, i noticed your rifle has taps on the side with a scope mount bracket attached. is this something standard with the sniper version? or at least i am assuming it would be. id like to mount a scope on myne but not sure the proper way to do so.
JG
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 9:45am
JG
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 9:43am
JG
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 9:21am
Above i posted some pictures, thank you all for your help. ive been mostly into modern arms after serving in the u.s military but always been a fan of earlier rifles and i have to say i am very intrested in the history behind this rifle, after all its the oldest rifle in my collection as of last weekend. i plan to hold on to this one but not sure what its worth with all serial numbers matching..any ideas on value? i thought of staining it and giving it some r&r but then again iam concerned with messing its authenthicity and value for its scars. any feedback on this? i honestly admire it all beat up as it is. iam looking forward to mounting a scope but not sure what option is best for this kind of rifle, seems the bracket can be a big deal?? any tapping required?? thank you and sry for the many questions, again i admit i am new to this type of rifle.
JG
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 9:11am
JG
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 9:09am
JG
Hawgeye View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawgeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 7:00am
Nice bit of kit Alan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan de Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 5:39am
The markings you describe do not sound overly "original sniper" - there are other markings which would be more noticable that I'd have thought you'd have commented on (if they were there)

Does it look anything like this ?

Hawgeye View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawgeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 3:56am
There are several signature markings that should be found on a correct 4T. There should be a stamp on the top left rear receiver boss with a crown over D6, E. This is the Holland and Holland factory inspection mark. The right side receiver boss adjacent to the front receiver ring should have an S stamped on it. This boss is where the mag cutoff retention screw was located when the cutoff was still used. There should be a TR located on the left wrist area below the serial number. This marking was put there by the arsenal on rifles that were found to have above normal accuracy. The left side receiver wall near the ejection screw may or may not have the letter T imprinted depending on whether the rifle was fitted with a telescopic sight. The buttstock should have S51 (also a Holland and Holland inspection mark) stamped on the lower radius near the grip. If you can remove the buttstock, the serial number of the rifle should be imprinted on the wood area normally concealed by the wrist socket. If fitted with a telescope, the scope SN will be imprinted transversely across the buttstock immediately to the rear of the wrist socket on the top. The rifle serial number should also be imprinted longitudinally along the forestock aft of the front band. Most rifles in the 4T configuration are in the 30,000 serial number range but that is not universal. The left side receiver wall should have five threaded holes in it, three forward and two at the rear if the rifle was fitted with a telescopic sight. The telescope mounting pads may or may not be present. These conditions are all present in both of my 4T's but it is wise to never say always or never with enfields. There are all kinds of informational sources available concerniing the 4T. Best to check everything you can and verify as much as possible. Pics would be helpful. Cheers.
Rule .303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rule .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 3:17am
Links to Milsurp Collector Web Sites and Discussion Forums
Try this Forum, these guys are fanatics about the No. 4 Sniper rifle.

"Shoot straight, you bastards! Don't make a mess of it!"
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 10:56pm
Excellent can you post some pictures?
Janier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 10:05pm

Hi and thank you for reading my post, so i recently purchased an Enfield which contains the following markings:

The rear stock has a cheak rest and contains a ^star SL N 74 and
i think i see a very small mark 2T
There is a  G on the bottom of the end of the stock.. the bottom before the sling swivel also contains S5L in large engraved latters.

No 4MK1 (F) FTR/50 , i noticed a small <- close to the ejection port on the side where the No 4MK1 is found. also 18205A which also matches the magazine and the bolt and triger bracket. All the parts have matching serial numbers including the magazine which i find is a big deal.

Under the safety there is a B and the year 1942 followed by the serial numbers 18205A.
I have much experience with firearms but this is a new challenge for me, i am having a difficult time trying to find the meaning to these symbols. Please notify me with any feedback as to what these symbols mean. Guy says he had it for 30 years. Thank You.
JG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic