Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avro Lancaster's weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 2:24am
Thank you  Shamu. I tip my hat to you Sir!

I have learned something new today about Enfields and that is why this board is so great.

Now I will have to make a phone call, get an invite to come over, buy a six pack, and see about doing some ammo trading.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 5:08am
The RAF machineguns were designed to use cartridges with cordite propellent, though they could use other ammo if necessary.
In order the be reliable when using cordite the muzzle nut was redesigned and chrome lined.

The tracer mixture in use at the time could be hard to ignite at high altitude where ammo became chilled in the thin air, the high temperature of cordite improved ignition of the compound.

The RAF .303 machine guns were a scaled down version of a older .50 Colt/Browning design, scaled down to suit the .303. Alterations were made to prevent the gun from jamming up due to Gee forces in dives and turns.
A side note. If any of these guns jammed on a 300 round belt the armor who serviced it could face fines or jail time. I suppose defective ammo could be a viable defense.
This kept the armorers on their toes, and made certain the guns were clean as a whistle before each mission.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 5:39am
Brave men using these guns and highly trained / motivated men backing them up.

I would not want to be on the receiving end.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 12:09pm
Well Paddy..the other side was just as diligent.
By the by..you any relation to that tennis pro...Manuel Labour?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 2:08pm
About ammo quality.
Unless ammunition passed a timed ignition test by lots it would not be used in synchronized fueselage mounted guns.
Also due to out of spec cases of much WW1 ammunition the RAF first began inspections and then buying ammo only from those manufacturers whose ammunition was of the best quality, with cases as close as possible to the minimum specified dimensions.
Later on starting in 1918 the RAF contracted for aerial gun ammunition seperately from the rest of the military.
The Green carton markings (cross or round spot) of the carefully inspected ammo, and the Red Label of RAF only ammo was the begining of high accuracy ammo for snipers and target shooters.
Snipers liked to buy or steal RAF ammo when the opportunity presented itself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Well Paddy..the other side was just as diligent.
By the by..you any relation to that tennis pro...Manuel Labour?
Hoadie

You got me on that one Hoadie, very funny.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 10:41am
Well=-what a day! We flew down to Genesseo N.Y. for the air show, featuring WWII aircraft.
There was a huge salute to the veterans.
But for all the warbirds that were there, NOTHING could compare to what the LANCASTER did.
There was a HUGE crowd(record breaking by their announcements.) First the Canadian Spitfire & Huuricane took to the air-with quite a bit of excitement & attention.After they finished they buggered off.
That's when you could hear the guttural rumbling. As the announcer said-"here's what we've all been waiting for folks..the Avro Lancaster!!" As she taxied up that grass strip past the spectators..I've never seen anything like it! EVERY SINGLE PERSON-including the food & merchandise vendors stopped and gawked! There was a mad rush to the side of the field..cameras clicking..she just creeeped on by. She got to the end & started her run-up..the galleries were SILENT.I've never seen a gallery so quite as I did when she came down that strip with those Merlins growlin! She used the whole runway. When she went airborne, there was this HUGE cheer. WOW. After she did her fly pasts, the Spit & the Hurricane formed up with her, & did a whole new series.You talk about a show stopper!!Holy Mackeral..there was people JUMPIN up and down!I never seen anything like that. On the static line there was a perpetual crowd around her. If I knew how to post-I'd show you a few pics. I'm just astounded by the American's response to her. I was sitting for a while beside a WWII B-17 aircrewman.He told me that was the FIRST time he ever saw one.He heard about them when he was over there..but because he bombed in daytime, & RAF did nighttime, they never massed up.
What a day
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 11:41pm
WOW, WOW!

I wish I was there.

You lucky dog you Hoadie, I am envious.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 6:38am
Your right..I WAS a lucky dog. But it goes to prove one thing...judging by the reaction of the spectators...she truly is: "QUEEN OF THE SKIES"!
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 6:42am
Any photos?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 7:16am
some..but I dunno how to post 'em
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 9:30am
Rats!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 9:45am
gimme your addy..I'll send some to you
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:10am
Thanks Hoadie!

I will post them on the board and return them to you.

Thanks,

Ed

PS Incoming email.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 10:13am
And not a message and photos from Hoadie.

"First pic is of our ride & the folks I went with.

The guy in blue(Legion uniform)is my buddy Joe.Guys in white shirts are KVA. 2 of them are PPCLI.

I hope you can enlarge these pics.

Cheers!

Hoadie"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 10:20am
Hoadie,

Do I have this right?

PPCLI is the "Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry "

KVA is the " Korea Veterans Association of Canada"

Sometime this old gray haired melon head can not remember anything right.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic