Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

serial number id and location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsiets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: serial number id and location
    Posted: February 13 2011 at 11:16am

i am new to the enfield rifle as well as this site.  i just spent the last three hours going over the forums looking for how to identify this rifle.  on the left hand side of the gun i found some markings that say no 4 MK1 (F) FTR which i have found out means it has had a factory repair done on it at one point in time, please correct me if i am wrong. 

but the numbers that i can not get to make sense for me are on a strap that wraps around the barrel attaching to the trigger guard.  starting at the top and working down there is a B then under neath it is a 1   94   2 spaced out like that and then underneath it is K7693.  i will try and get some pictures up tommorrow night, of course when you need the camera the batteries are dead. 

and then the last set of numbers are on the barrel just in front of the sight.  on the right hand side (same as the bolt handle)  they read like this np 303  2.22'' and then underneath that is 18.5 tons at least that is the best i can make out. 

i seen tony had a article regarding serial numbers on here but i could not get the images to load for me.  any help would be greatly appreciated, i got it from my father in law and he always just called it his british 303 he was not sure on the make or anything, and he has had it for the last 30 years. 

Thanks again Justin
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 11:45am
Ok pictures will help for sure I will see if I can find that serial number for you. are you sure the np is no bp? of bnp? the other numbers is the pressure it was proof tested too here is a link to a serail number data base http://freespace.virgin.net/j.franklin/toys/serial_numbers.htm
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 9:49pm
An FTR is more like a complete rebuild & upgrade than just a repair, but yes that's the general idea.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:54am

Never thought of it that way Shamu , but an excellent analogy!

jsiets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsiets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:10am
here are the pictures that i took of the new gun.  hope the pictures turn out.
jsiets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsiets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:35am
dont know why the pictures got so big just hit reply and added a image, but on the other hand it does give a close up view of everything.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:41am
yes it does - too close to work with - reduce the size we may be able to help , 
jsiets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsiets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 12:28pm
i will have try and figure that out otherwise i will have to ask the wife, she was surprised i got pictures on there. 
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 8:08am
I was on my broadband card will have to wait till I get to the office to download those and look
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic