Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need help with all the markings and yr of No4 Mk1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with all the markings and yr of No4 Mk1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with all the markings and yr of No4 Mk1
    Posted: January 11 2012 at 6:32am
so this is my lee enfield no4 mk1. i know it was sporterized, but i did some research and from the looks, it looks exactly like the Maltby no4 mk1 sporter, which all they did to that was cut the forend part of the stock and put on a different front sight. It said it still had the bayonet slugs still on it, but looking at it, it looks like the person who got it sporterized cut that off. But im not too sure if it is a Maltby sporter because i couldnt find any FTR markings on it. The markings on it are really wierd. i was doing alot of research on markings and mine isnt like any that ive seen, it has markings that others dont, and it dosnt have markings that others do. Im wondering it was like how germany was, to where towards the end of the world war they were just cranking out as many firearms as they could and were no longer taking as much time as they were putting as many markings on it. so here are the pictures- oh and it has a sante fe 5 round mag. Oh and what i did figure out from the serial number is that it was made in Maltby, and i just read that Maltby was sloppy with their markings, and you guys will see. Its a puzzle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

says Parker Hale, then underneath it says ENGLAND

This is on the lower half of the middle, and its like in a row, this is pt 1 of 4  total its like B B 7 1 5

This one is like on the chamber on top. And what i got from my research is that the arrow means it was a Government acceptance mark. What im wondering is what is that wierd thing below it?

More pics to come. it will be posted below

ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 6:42am

I have no clue what this mark is, and that ugly thing-thats from some idiot welding a bar ontop of it trying to make a scope mount. i removed the bar, now im working on cleaning it up and re-bluing that area.

To me, this 1 looks like it says MBJ

This 1 is on the underside of the barrel, looks like an N or a Z

Still on the underside of the barrel

the BNP is Birmingham Nitro Proof Marks. i dont know what the crown is above iit means or the crossed swords or the R with the 2 fadded letters underneath it and the 1 fadded letter beside it.

better look at the crossed swords and the R

Wth is the BY mean? and underneath the BY is the serial number. just please tell me what ALL of those markings mean.

What is that H or I and that sloppy thing underneath it?

Its another crown with the numbers 52 underneath it

ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 6:50am
Yet ANOTHER BNP(Birmingham Nitro Proof). my quesstion is, what on earth is that wierd marking right above it? Looks like a T or a seriously effed up D

This is on the reciever and has a B with a 49 underneath it

Dont ask me on this one... lol

this one is a fadded N, which i read that that its World War II codes consisted of a letter followed by a number. "N" stands for "North", "M" for "Midlands", and "S" for "South".
And the REALLY wierd thing is that i have acouple of N's on this thing and i also have acouple of M's on it as well

This is on the thing you push down to let the bolt out. it has an F on it, and on the back side of it, it has another arrow

This is again, another N, or a Z i think its an N though

i think thats another arrow, for the government acceptance mark, and dunno if u can see it, but on the right there is an M on it as well.

This is on the magazine ejector BE, what is that?!?! oh and on the opposite side of it, theres another M
ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 6:59am
On the left is another crown. which what does that mean? and on the right is and F with another arrow?, i dont know.

another arrow

This is underneath the safty. its a circle with an N inside

no clue. looks like a palm tree to me

Here are the M's i was telling you about, for Midlands, accrding to what i read. now my thing is why would it be northern and midland? oh and this is where that whole trigger and trigger guard and magazine assemble thing is

This is where it starts to get really weird. im sure you know what this is, but there is no date. all the enfields ive seen dont have markings like this
I dont know if you can see it, but i can, i spent a total of atleast 2 hours staring at it, but there is something REALLY REALLY fadded in between the ENGLAND and they BY and what it says is M / 45

what does that BY mean, and what does the M/45 mean?

ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 7:08am

The bolt head. theres the M and some wierd thing

Im guessin a 0? lol

more BNP on the bolt

this is on the underside of the bolt handle, its like an N or a Z

a B and an I or a B and 2 L's

a 3 and then some other weird thing, the more i look at it, it looks like another N inside a circle. lol i think thats the only thing best to describe these markings-weird.

heres the serial  number again.

Are you guys able to tell the Year of the gun with the serial  number?

Basically i would like you guys to tell me EVERY single thing about these markings. Keep in mind im 18 and just getting into this stuff. so i know NOTHING about markings. Well, i know some stuff, but not alot.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 11:47am
thats mighty crude machining for PH but its their sight , lots of marks thatare common here
ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 2:14pm
lol, yea im slowly starting to be able to read what it says.
so far ive identified the
B-Birmingham i believe
the arrow-military proof marks
M-midland
N(on the left side or reciever)- that means it was Naval Service.
BNP-Birmingham Nitro Proof

I know the crossed swords with 3 letters around them is some sort of british proof marking, i just dont know which one!!!
Also i know there is some sort of inspection mark(thats the deal with allthe crowns). But again, i dont know what inspection mark it is!
the M/45 is a production code, HOWEVER i dont know which one, the only closest one i could find was M46, and thats not it.
I know the serial number makes it from Maltby, which explains the sloppy markings and crude maching, and theyre also the one who sporterized this thing, after the war im assuming.

So is there anything you guys can help me with?
Alan de Enfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan de Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 3:54pm
England = US Import marking
M45 = Maltby and year of production
BY = the prefix letters to the serial number. (full serial number is BY14143)

BNP = Birmingham Nitro Proof marks to show that it was in the civilian gun trade (which is probably when it was sporterised and the PH front site fitted)

2.222" = proof mark for cartridge length
18.5 tons per square inch = proof pressure.

The majority of the other marks (letters in circles, numbers over letters in circles) are just inspectors markings as it went thru' the manufacturing process.

If you plan to restore it then you will need to re-barrel it.
Alan de Enfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan de Enfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2012 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by ShotsPB ShotsPB wrote:

I know the serial number makes it from Maltby, which explains the sloppy markings and crude maching, and theyre also the one who sporterized this thing, after the war im assuming.

No - the ROF's did not sporterise their rifles. They were Military establishments and would not be allowed to undertake any non-military work.

It would have been sporterised in civilian hands - possibly by Parker Hale.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 4:21am
i agree parker hale could be possible [the front sight ]
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 5:31am
My first thought was Parker Hale too. They did sporterise rifles and did several different types ranging from a simple cut off forend up to the high end models which were restocked with sporting stocks, highly polished etc. I believe yours is a budget model. They also did 5 round mags from memory.
I would be concerned about the welding on the action as it is a big no no to weld any rifle action.
I think you need to take it to a COMPETENT gunsmith for his opinion before firing.
Plenty of rifles have been welded on and used with no ill effects, but, I wouldnt trust an action that has benn welded.

ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 6:20am
the weld was done MANY years ago. before i was even born. Probably about 45-50 years ago. My grandpa bought it from some guy. My grandpa didnt do anything to it, thats pretty much how he bought it. And it was used lots of times, up until around 1999. Then i finally picked it back up did a first cleaning and cut the weld off, and shot 60 shots through it at the range on December 19th or 20th, i cant remember. So i mean i understand your concern, trust me, that whole week before i shot it, me and a friend were talking about that weld, and how it could have ruined the heat treatment, even though my grandpa fired it for like 40 years with no problems. i mean shoot when we went to shoot it(which i shot the "first" shot) it was like playing russian rollette, didnt know if it was gunna blow up ornot.

So i mean for now, its fine, its been working for a while and the barrel is going to need to be replaced anyways sometime soon, within the next 6monthsto 1 year at the LATEST. So i was just going to wait till then.

the only reason why i dont want to replace the barrel now, is simply for sentimental reasons.

Right now my concerns are getting some of the rust out of the barrel. put some of that rust and bluing remover on it, get the rust off of other spots, sand off the pitting, re-blue it. once i do that, ill most likely replace the barrel.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 7:01am
We need to get a couple of the UK folk on here for their opinion. Although it's a Parker Hale sight, I have never seen a Parker Hale with work that looked like the end of that barrel.

The "funny" script and the thing that might be a crescent moon make me think it visited Turkey.

Ed
Beerhunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by ShotsPB ShotsPB wrote:

I know the crossed swords with 3 letters around them is some sort of british proof marking, i just dont know which one!
It's part of the Birmingham Proof marks (it contains a date code).  As is the crown above BNP.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 2:13pm
Replacing the barrel is no easy feat, do you have a source already? I've searched and searched, I found 3 new barrels after an exhaustive search and was offered used barrels but didn't purchase them. What I am saying is replacement barrels are not an easy thing to find.Please enlighten me, thanks!
ShotsPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShotsPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 9:57pm

pretty sure SIA has some barrels, not too sure though. but yea barrels for an enfield arnt too easy to find. Mainnly, you have to know where to look.

but the barrel i have is actually in decent condition. Ive cleaned up that disgusting barrel tip, it looks nice now, as does most of this rifle now. Ill post pictures of it after im done restoring it.

-edit- ive also cleaned up the weld marks. Im not too worried about it, the weld was done very sloppy and not well done i.e the tourch wasnt on it too long.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic