Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - P13 trials bayonet "Holy Grail" of rare bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P13 trials bayonet "Holy Grail" of rare bayonets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSGFERG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P13 trials bayonet "Holy Grail" of rare bayonets
    Posted: February 09 2012 at 10:11pm
I have a P13 trials bayonet that I got from Panama when I was there in the Army during "Operation Just Cause" that came from the former Panama dictator Manuel Noriega's bayonets. I was given official military orders 10 July 1990, by the US Army so I could keep it, and take it out of Panama.
The bayonet is the long one appx 22 inches, with the original hooked quillion, and the original wooden grips. The bayonet is in unrestored original condition, with one small blade cut in it "proof it was used in the trials?", and the blade isn't beat up, or rusty but appears to have been sprayed with a flat black paint, which probably preserved it from the humid, salty air in Panama. On the lower part of the blade is a cross swords "X" centered on the bottomand right above that is a "T6" over an "F", and a small kings crown shape above that, and above that, an arrow pointing toward the blade point. To the right side of the blade is a small "EFD" on top of "35". The flip side of the blade has a larger "EFD" centered on the bottom, a "3" on the left, and "13" on the right, and in the center slightly above those, is "1913". Above the 1913 is a large kings crown. The spring loaded metal end that latches onto the weapon is stamped with a 3 digit serial number "don't want to put the number on here to prevent possible fake attempts. I assume this was the issued serial number.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 12:11am
damn , thats one i have hoped for but mostly not held my breath , dont see them very often , congrats
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 1:05am
MSGFERG , What Unit was You with ????  My unit was the Sister unit to one that went there and after , We got a few new men after when they broke up such units ...One of the guys that came to My squad was a 60 gunner during panama invasion !!! and an E-5 also came to our Platoon !!   
there were others that came to our company but I only had dealings with those in my platoon and more so in my squad . 
Got some other stories I could discuss with You in private about some of the operations there , but not on here since I see that we get put out in the search engines on the web !!! and I dont think this has been de-classified yet for the public , to my knowledge ....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
MSGFERG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSGFERG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 4:26am
I was in 1/228 Aviation at Ft Kobbe Army/Howard Air Force Base.
MSGFERG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSGFERG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 1:04am
Thanks Square!...it might eventually be for sale...just not yet.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 7:33am
So MSGFERG , So Do You know what the Ma Bell theory was in Panama ??
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 8:37am
if it comes up MSGFERG keep me in mind , id trade one of my M1905/M1905 - 10 combinations for that piece
John Sukey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Sukey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 8:35am
I think the extra 13 might be an inspector's mark.  Never heard of these bayonets being serial numbered.  But that's just an opinion.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 3:58am
thought the extra 13 a mfgr date ... 3/13 , march of 13 ?
MSGFERG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSGFERG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 9:55am
The 13 is the manufacture date. The serial numbers were only on these P13 trials bayonets. They are not on the blade, they are on the lower end of the handle near the rifle latch.
davmatt74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davmatt74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 10:57am
That is a great find. I got a buddy that participcated in Just Cause. He was in Ranger School or just graduated.(Can't remember) We worked at the WV state pen. together. He would tell us about it on night shift.
Great stories.
Thanks for the pics.
Then you obviously don't know Victor Franco.
EnfieldNut82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EnfieldNut82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 1:52pm
Wow,
What a awesome bayonet find. I almost thought it was a japanese arisaka bayonet when I first looked at it.  I wonder if thats where the japanese got their ideas from?
Nice find
Scott
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 11:07pm
When I got my hooked quillion P07 Lee Enfield bayonet it was marked as Japanese.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 10:04pm
actually the brits got the pattern 1907"idea" from the japanese
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 10:53pm
I have learned something new today. I did not know the British copied anyone.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 6:48am
Gentlemen,

In reference to the comment made by -A Square 10 "actually the brits got the pattern 1907"idea" from the japanese"...  its partially correct.

During the trials to find a weapon which both the infantry and cavalry could use... the SMLE was accepeted. In order to give back length of the weapon, and equal the reach of foreign armies during hand-to-hand engagements, several weapons were trialed. The Arisaka Sword Bayonet being one such item. With slight modifications.. the Pattern-1907 Sword Bayonet was born.

This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic