Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martini Arrived!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 2:13am

Here is the one I got from IMA. Wasn't missing anything and was in pretty decent shape when it arrived. The forestock was warped pretty bad and the wood around the cross pin was rotted out. I got some wood from a guy on another forum who had some left over after his Nepal cache project and plugged a piece in there. The only bummer is the metal under the wood is pretty well pitted, I don't think its unsafe but I think I need to take it to a smith first.

These are great projects, you got a nice one judging by the first pic. I wish I would of jumped on a few of these sooner when they were cheaper. I can't wait to see how yours turns out SW28fan!

Did you get the documentary they made while they were over there? It's really cool to see exactly how these rifles were stored and shipped and in what conditions the castle they were stored in was. It's a good bit of fun. Also you have to watch Zulu when you clean the rifle... You'll be singing along in the final scenes!

Again can't wait to see pics of it!
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 4:25am
How is Your trigger pull ???  mine is about 40 pounds or better ..feels like Im fixing to break some thing when I pull it !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 11:10am
where oh where did you get that parade strap?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:13pm
Yeah the trigger pull is pretty heavy. Crisp and clean break but very heavy.

IMA also has the straps. Very stiff leather, sitting down and working the leather while watching Zulu is a good way to loosen it up a bit.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:28pm
Mine is like some thing is fixing to break and Im making a face before it lets loose ...nothing crisp about mine !!!  its like snapping a wooden dowel !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:49pm
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:53pm
Dont think its the spring !!  I think its the cocking lever ... I have a new old one coming from numrich ... 
in your picture the cocking indicator is leaning to the back ...is that rifle cocked ??  or fired ??? 
Mine is pointing straight up when cocked , then it points to the crown / right a bit when fired ....

"White Rhino"

Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 1:16pm
It supposed to point back when cocked, then up when fired. At least that's how I see it on every other rifle.

I would love to get another one of these rifles.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 1:37pm
Wish I would have got one in .303 when they had them .....  My Wife got Me this one for x-mass ...surprised the hell out of me !!!
When I got it my son pulled the trigger with the lever down and its not felt the same since ...  would not even cock until I took it down cleaned it and put it back together ..but now its hard as hell to pull the trigger ...
I got 5 boxes of rounds from Century about a year ago ...$30.00+ a box ...
I think they still have some ...made in 1948 KYNOCH  480 grns. paper patched lead .
"White Rhino"

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 1:41pm
If I ever get another I'd like a Martini Enfield in 303.  This restoration has been hard on me with my messed up hands. I keep intending to set it aside for a few days but always find myself doing something with it, damn that OCD thing!
Have a Nice Day
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 1:52pm
Mine is a Martini Enfield 1893 AC   V.R.under the crown 
"White Rhino"

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 1:18am
the one i have coming is slight on finish - im looking to #1 as well , id rather none and ben there done that look than cobbled or modern looking obvious imitation , these are in a collection after all ......

"...It supposed to point back when cocked, then up when fired. At least that's how I see it on every other rifle....."

thats how my shotgun works as well -

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 2:42am
Well I will put the new (old) one in that is coming , and see what that does , this one looks to have been messed with , had a lot of grinding marks on it ...so when the other one comes in I might like the pull better !!!
 this one seriously feels like Im breaking a piece of wood when I try and fire it ...!!!!
"White Rhino"

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 12:03pm
Well The finish on the metal was decided for me.  A minor Faux Pas  I was concerned about the pits along the wood line. While getting more wire brushes I got to talking about the project with the folks at the local hardware store. The manager recomended this liquid rust remover which indeed dealt with the rust in the pits but it basically cold blued the unpitted metal around them. So I coated the whole thing to make it uniform. It still looks old and ratty just not as brown.
Have a Nice Day
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 11:25pm
What was the name of that liquid rust remover ...or is it a converter ???  
"White Rhino"

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 12:33am
It is a converter named Ospho.
Have a Nice Day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic