Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lead projectiles ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lead projectiles ???
    Posted: May 04 2012 at 1:16pm
Has any one ever cast their own 303 projectiles ??
Just wondering what loads you were using ....
I have cast some , they are 190 grain with the gas check , I found a load for Red Dot at 10 grains ....  Im going to try them out tomorrow !!  will post how they do !
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:14pm
Y'all must be waiting to see if I survive or not !!!!  LOL
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:32am
"I found 1,000 cheap .303 orgives" advertised on a local Armourer 's web site last year, when I was starting out with my reloading. So I went to see him. What he was selling were copper coated cast lead bullets, I believe they were electroplated with copper. Much cheaper than the original FMJ's. But he explained that I would need to re-calibrate the sights and use much lower powder loads etc. So I decided against it. I also wondered if it would make it harder to clean the barrel? Let us know how you get on.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 2:36am
I'll hold your beer & watch!Wink
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 5:17am
Well since company has left and the horses are picked up , I will give it a try !!!  Hold My Beer !!!

"White Rhino"

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 5:28am
Try it, but I think you could go a little hotter with the gas check. Wasn't " the load" 13 grns of Red Dot?

Ed
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 5:37am
They drop at 100 yds , may go up to 13 like Ed says !!  Son in Law said it sounds like a loud 22 !  LOL!!
"White Rhino"

BrassMagnet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrassMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 9:22am
I'll be trying in the near future. I have heard recommendations elsewhere for 314299 in tight  chambers and 316299 in more generous chambers. I'll be casting up both soon and then experimenting. I'm even willing to try 311299 in an Ishy.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 4:34am
You mean there's another way?

These things get driven to near full load velocities!
303Guy
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrassMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 10:23am
There is a great article by C.E. Harris titled "Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article" on the Cast Boolits website which shows a lot of data for Enfields. This data shows gallery loads as well as full power loads. That and the Lyman Cast Bullet load manual are where I'll get my load data. See http://castboolits.gunloads.com under Cast Boolits > Guns & Shooting > CB Loads / Military Rifles for the article.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 12:27pm
Rhino where are you getting your gas checks from?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 10:27pm
wasnt me! I thot I gave all those gas checks to you,cookie.
By the by..isnt that bullet wieght that Rhino is using, somwhat on the heavy side?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrassMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 10:38pm
I have bought gas checks wherever I find them. Finding them in stores is getting tough and the markup will kill your budget.
I have bought from MidwayUSA and they currently list 30 cal gas checks at $29.49 and they charge shipping.
I recently ordered 4,000 30 cal and 1,000 22 cal Gator gas checks from "Blammer" on Cast Boolits and the delivered price is $108. Blammer is out of 30 cal at the moment, but will soon be restocked. Shipping on 5,000 is $8, 6,000 or more is $14. Since 22 cal gas checks are $16, that makes the 30 cal gas checks $21/1,000 plus shipping. I guess that makes even a purchase of 1,000 cheaper from Blammer after than from MidwayUSA before shipping.
I  confess. I bought him out of 30 cal for my Enfield loading.

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 1:59am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

wasnt me! I thot I gave all those gas checks to you,cookie.
By the by..isnt that bullet wieght that Rhino is using, somwhat on the heavy side?
Hoadie

Hoadie the  only .303 gas checks I seen was in Rhino's gun room. Bullet wieght I do not remember what he is casting
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 3:23am
I musta gave 'em to Rhino 1st time I was down there, then...I dunno.I cant remember WHAT I did 20 minutes ago, let alone 2 years ago!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 8:10am
303 guy, Those are paper patched bullets!
Can you give more details?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic