Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

identify this rifle please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmlenak73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: identify this rifle please
    Posted: June 19 2012 at 8:04am
can anyone tell me what type of 303 i have. it has a RE stamped on top with an oval around it. it also has a crown with the letters BNP under the crown. also has a crown with initials G.R. under the crown. it has a 16 stamped on it also. looks like on the side of the butt it had mabey a brass emblen in it but looks like it has been pluged with a wood plug. has a single R stamped on top of the reciever. on the side of the reciever it says 18.5 tons per and has a square symbol next to the word per. under the crown that has G.R. under it i can make out an x shape with a letter M on one side of the x then on bottom of x i can make out a P then on the other side of the x i cant quite make out the other letter real good but i think it has another M. also has 2.222" stamped on it any info would be greatly app.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 8:29am

Pictures would be a great help

jmlenak73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmlenak73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 10:47am
here are a few pics of the rifle but its impossible to get all the stamped number and markings in the pic i tried and the gun so old they don't show up clearly in the pics
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 1:13pm
Looks to be a P-14 (Pattern 1914 Enfield) that has been sporterized, the pictures a somewhat distorted. You can clean the proof marks with a soft tooth brush then put a little Talc to make them stand out. Nice rifle if the metal is not damaged or reworked you can restore her should you choose too.
jmlenak73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmlenak73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 8:44pm
Whatz funny is that i just reblued the gun and restained the stock it looks really good in person i think if i have had better lighting when i took the pics they would have came out a lot better the numbers on the gun pop out clear but will not show up good in the up close pics i took. there is no dings or scrathes in the rifle. I found a serial number on the rifle and tried to research it but can not find that serial number online anywhere. the serial number is. 85492
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 1:37pm
dittos the distortion and dittos the Pattern 1914 rifle , cannot tell if the barrels been cut from the photos - these are some of the finest rifles ever made
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 3:19pm
This what it originally looked like:

If the barrel has not been cut it is restorable
The RE means it was made by Remington under contract for the British circa 1916
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
jmlenak73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmlenak73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 9:06pm
The barrell does not seem to be cut at all does anyone know how long the barrell is supposed to be so that i can double check mine but i am almost sure the barrell has not been cut. where would i began to even find the original stock for this rifle. i have shot the rifle and it shoots true and straight. but yes i would love to restore this rifle. i just dont know why anyone would want to sporterize any type of rifle like this. doesnt it drop its value a lot
Longshaor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshaor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 10:07pm
To add to what has already been said, "BNP" stands for British Nitro Proof, this is a civilian proofing of the rifle when it was sold off onto the civilian market.

The "GR" under a crown stands for King George V.  This is a common marking on British firearms up to WWII.

"18.5 tons per ..." is the proofing pressure.

And, lastly, the circular wood plug was probably for a brass ID disc, again, a common feature up to WWII.

Hope that helps.
Longshaor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshaor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 10:15pm
Quick addendum to what I said...

The "GR" marking itself is common on British firearms from 1910 to the late 1930s, however they do not all refer to King George V, who reigned from 1910 to 1936.  Prior to him, the crown would have had the letters "ER" for Edward VII (1901-1910), and before that "VR" for Queen Victoria.  After George V, Edward VIII ruled for less than a year, and I am unaware of any Enfields with his cypher on them.  He was succeeded in December 1936 by his younger brother King George VI, and the "GR" cypher was continued.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 2:35am
Originally posted by jmlenak73 jmlenak73 wrote:

The barrell does not seem to be cut at all does anyone know how long the barrell is supposed to be so that i can double check mine but i am almost sure the barrell has not been cut. where would i began to even find the original stock for this rifle. i have shot the rifle and it shoots true and straight. but yes i would love to restore this rifle. i just dont know why anyone would want to sporterize any type of rifle like this. doesnt it drop its value a lot

Some have restored these rifles using stocks salvaged from DP'ed drill rifles.
The M1917 U S Enfield stock can be substituted but there are differences in the length and position of the finger grooves.
New made replacement stocks for the M1917 have been available in the past.

Rifles such as these were once dirt cheap, with no indications at the time that they would ever be worth much.
Some rifles were cut down simply to make them handier when hunting, and many others had the fore ends cut down due to severe damage to the fore ends (splits, warpage, swelling, etc) that made accuracy impossible.
Some were sporterized by companies and sold mail order.

Many P-14 rifles were sold off between wars at scrap prices due to degradation in storage. Some were refurbed by the private company purchasers and sold to foreign governments, occasionally rebored to 8mm Mauser. 

PS
The 2.22" marking is the nominal length of the .303 cartridge and chamber.
British rifles sold out of service often had cartridge length marked to avoid confusion with similar cartridges such as the .303 Savage.
jmlenak73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmlenak73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 10:37pm
So can anyone tell me what the number 16 means. its on the side of the reciever
jmlenak73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmlenak73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 10:39pm
To add to my last post i thought it was the year of the rifle
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 1:32am
oh BTW the oval with RE makes it a remington , if the barrel is intact there should be a date [month/year ] stamped right behind the front sight
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic