Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Different Cocking Piece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Civil War Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different Cocking Piece
    Posted: June 22 2012 at 2:06am
I just purchased a beartiful 1918 No. 1 Mk III* rifle. The bolt does not have a matching number but seems to function OK. The cocking piece seems a little odd since it does not have the vertical grooves that I have seen in pictures. Amoung the markings on the bolt is a Star with a letter in it. Would this indicate Lithgow or Australian? Did these bolts not have the vertical grooves on the cocking piece?

Thanks in advance.

Keep the old guns firing.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 12:10am
IIRC there were wartime expediant replacement parts such as cocking pieces without the grasping grooves.
A article I read somewhere years ago mentioned accidental discharges caused by sentries using the halfbent poaition rather than the safety due to problems of operating the safety catch while wearing thick winter gloves or mittens.
Elimination of the grasping grooves may have seemed an improvement to avoid unauthorised used of the half bent.
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 9:14am
I am not aware of the flat sided cocking pieces being used on the No1 but they certainly were used for a while on the No4. I have two of these. I think from memory these have no half cock.
Perhaps someone has fitted a No4 striker and cocking piece to your No1 bolt. I believe it can be done but have never tried it myself.
The No1 and No4 used different threads on the striker so unless it is forced, you cannot change one without changing the other.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 5:40am
that is my guess as well , my no1 '43 BSA has one as well as my no2 mkIV , this is not uncommon
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by LE Owner LE Owner wrote:

IIRC there were wartime expediant replacement parts such as cocking pieces without the grasping grooves.
A article I read somewhere years ago mentioned accidental discharges caused by sentries using the halfbent poaition rather than the safety due to problems of operating the safety catch while wearing thick winter gloves or mittens.
Elimination of the grasping grooves may have seemed an improvement to avoid unauthorised used of the half bent.

Interesting !
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 12:38am
oh - and my no1 mkV has one that is correct to it as well , but all have grasping grooves
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 1:05am
I just checked my inventory all have grooves as well
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 7:41am
Yes it's Australian, yes it's normal and yes it's the original pattern, used from the first No.1's until the 1940's.
 The second variation has not the round knob on the end, it has vertical grooves and is found on most later british No.1's and No.4's.
The 3rd variation is similar to the 2nd, minus the grooves, the fourth variation has one large central groove.
 Threads are different for No.1's versus 4's and 5's.
  The early rounded knob was preferred and often refitted by Units where conditions required it, Korea being a good example, where gloves made it difficult to grasp the straight sided cocking piece in the Winter months.
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 12:33pm
Only ones I have with the round knob are my older No1 MkIII's earlier 1900's
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 12:02am
my early ones have the round as well , i have seen the flat without the grooves but sold off the only rifle i had with one fitted ,
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 7:35am
Is the original poster referring to the round button style or the flat sided style cocking piece?
By flat sided I mean the type that would be found on a No4.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:48pm
i believe its the flat sided version and his has no grasping grooves ,
Civil War Life View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Civil War Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 11:50pm
Thanks to all who replied. Very helpful information. Since posting I have purchased the book on the SMLE NO 1 Mk III* rifles. I have learned a lot and now I know I have the correct style bolt and cocking piece even though it's serial number does not match the rest of the gun. I have found some really nice chargers (or stripper clips as I tend to call them) at Springfield Sporters. I have several really good experiences with them. Appreciate their good service. I have also purchased a cleaning thong and a brass oiler for the stock. The gun came with a leather sling which according to the book was occasionally issued with these.  Once I get the correct bayonet I'll be ready to take on the Hun.

My last project with this rifle is to replace the extractor spring. Have got some suggestions from other members of the forum and will give it a try. Then I'll hit the range and see how the old girl performs.

Can't wait.

Terry
Keep the old guns firing.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 7:56am
check out jean's site for a P1907 bayo ;

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic