Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 18" bbl ballistics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chato308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 303 18" bbl ballistics
    Posted: August 31 2012 at 10:28am
he!!o new Lee Enfield owner here. I recently purchased a "Scout Sporterized" No4Mk1 for a cheap $225 "truck/scout" rifle. The rifle already had the scout conversion done so I decided to jump on the deal. It came with a 18" cut and re-crowned barrel, XS scout scope mount, fixed flip up ghost ring rear sight, Bushnell TRS red dot and ATI Monte Carlo stock. The only problem is that the front sight was never replaced and therefore makes the rear ghost ring sight useless and defeats the purpose of the "scout rifle concept". My question is what are the ballistic differences from the regular length barrel and a 18" barrel? I'm asking that mainly so I have a rough idea on how tall of a front sight to use to zero the rifle at lets say 50 yards using the iron sights. If there are other members who already have a 18" barreled Enfield I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sharing what front sight you went with. I want to get the front sight added before Hydrographing the entire rifle in MultiCam
Thanks

Pic of the rifle

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 1:35pm
Welcome to the forum. Not a bad looking rifle to have been chopped., Well slow burning powders in factory ammunition will blow out the end of the barrel having excessive muzzle flash thus compromising accuracy, you need to load a lighter projectile with a faster burning powder. I load .303 British rifle rounds in my Thompson Contender Pistol I have some excellent starter loads if you wish?
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 4:35pm
IMR 4198 and AA2520 seem to work well in the short tube of the No.5
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 11:11pm
not sure on the balistics but my no5 barks a lot louder than my no4s Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic