Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1941 Fazakerley made Lee Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1941 Fazakerley made Lee Enfield
    Posted: September 23 2012 at 8:20am

A bit of advise please.

I have the opportunity to purchase a unmolested No4 Lee Enfield. Its been sitting in a friends safe for a long time and never been fired by him. On inspection and thanks to the wonderful information available on-line I have worked out the following.

Manufactured - 1941 ROF

Every number matches, serial number starts with a number (2) indicating early Fazakerley made rifle.

S.L. on woodwork.

OEW on the stock bands.

Has not been FTR'd no other markings just original factory.

In very good general condition, barrel (2 grooves) gauges & indicates little to no wear.

Headspaces well.

My question is, being limited to rifle space in the safe & definitely wanting a No4, is this rifle a good collectors piece or should I look for something a bit more collectable. I have read that Fazakerley made rifles were a bit rough and "Friday afternoon" built. I have never heard this term used before could someone enlighten me. I do want to shoot this rifle in our military club shoots & purchase it as a keeper.

Kind regards

Rob
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 10:58am
I would be like flies on s**t over that rifle! It sounds by your accounts an original unmolested rifle. BUY IT BUY IT!!!!! You won't regret it I am sure!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 12:39pm
Nothing wrong with a Faz.  The most acurate Enfield  own is my No4 Mk 1/2 Faz. I shot my lifetime high 200 yard score with it.  Friday afternoon build means the workmen were thinking about the weekend more than their work, so the rifle would be substandard.   The only No4s that have issues are the ones caused by wear or neglect.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 2:37pm
Buy it. My No 4 is also a Faz and shoots very well. Post some pictures when yo get it. 
Oh! and welcome to the forumSmile
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
RobbieG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 6:26pm

Thanks’ for the replies, 

I just got off the phone, rifle is mine deposit paid. Now I just have to wait for the paperwork.

I have some photos from when I was doing the research, not the full rifle but all the important bits.

Kind regards

Rob
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 1:32am
The rear triggerguard screw looks odd. Perhaps a extra long screw such as used to secure a side mounted apeture target sight?
If not ,the original screw may have been lost or stripped and a hasty replacement fabricated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic