Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

enfield No4 Mk 1/3 (F) FTR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIMPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: enfield No4 Mk 1/3 (F) FTR
    Posted: December 03 2012 at 6:26pm
Can any one help me by tellling me abt my enfield ...... on the receiver thr is clearlly written  No4 Mk 1/3 (F) FTR /52  and the serial number is 31co301 and one can see a big S or 5 written near the butt  as S 1942.....please help me as am too desperate to find where it was manufactured and rebuild .......

CHeers   Smile 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 6:07am

Be glad to, welcome aboard.

Your rifle is a

"No4 Mk 1/3 (F) FTR /52"

Rifle No 4 Mk1, went back through the factory in 1952 & was upgraded to a #4 Mk 1/3. (Basically a no 4 Mk2, but converted.) at the Fazackerly Royal Ordinance Factory, just outside of Liverpool England.

Big S or 5

A stylized “S” which would mean it was made by Savage Arms in Chicopee Mass as a No4 Mk1* some time in 1942. The No4 Mk1* was a simplified version of the NO4 Mk1 (no star) mainly known for the method of bolt removal, but there were several other minor simplifications to speed up wartime production.

It’s possible (even likely) that it has “U.S. Property” stamped on it at the top left side, but the picture is too fuzzy to tell. This would make it a “Lease/Lend” rifle sent to the U.K. as part of the Lease/Lend program of WW2. The stock is beech stained dark, you can tell by the “fish scale” grain pattern in pic #4.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 6:12am
Nice rifle! I was wondering...what kind of scope and mount are you using in your 1st two pictures?
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 6:22am
Nice rifle and one that is well travelled. The U.S. Property mark was sometimes removed during refurbs or by subsiquent owners. It was a fiction anyway to get around U.S. Laws. There was never any expectation about them being returned.  You are lucky the receiver on my No4 Mk 1/3 was to well scrubbed to tell if it is a Longbranch or a Savage. It did get the upgrade at Fazackerly. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 6:43am
very nice - its on my list to buy one , i envey you , ill not likely find one in such nice condition as yours , congrats
TIMPAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIMPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 6:31am
am very thankfull to you sir! 

cheeers Tongue
TIMPAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIMPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 6:32am
thx u so much ...the scope is made by Bushnell.....
TIMPAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIMPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 6:34am
well am damn glade to find out ttht it as made in US and went into WW2...its historical gun and very glade to find out you like it ...

HonoredTongue
TIMPAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIMPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 6:36am
wishing you all the best sir...do share sum pics once it is in your arms......

regards 
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 7:36pm
Nice rifle and welcome to the boards!

I too would like some more info about the scope mount. Could we seea pic of the rifle's left side with it mounted?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic