Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We lost another Veteran today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We lost another Veteran today
    Posted: December 16 2012 at 2:39am
A close friend a veteran and World War II. fighter pilot died today please keep his family and friends in your prayers and thoughts thank you
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 8:38am
I'm sorry for your loss Cookie, I'll keep the family in my prayers.
We don't have a lot of WWII vets left, they were an amazing generation.

Ed
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 8:26pm

That generation is disappearing all too rapidly these days. I'll say a prayer.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 10:40pm
As co-incidence I was at legion yesterday, helping in preparations for one of our own.Mr Jack Palmer - a REAL gentleman,is facing his final moments on this earth. He served through the entire Italian campaign. He has been active as a life member of the Legion - always volunteering when needed, highly placed,and respected SHRINER,mentor-father-friend and respected gentleman.
When this gentleman leaves us, WE will lose BIGTIME. The likes of this individual wont be seen again.
He will have a full Legion service, followed by a Shriner's service. My heart will be even heavier than it is now, when I say my final goodbye to a man I so admired.

Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 5:33am
I was honored to have been asked to be a Pallbearer
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 7:37am
John "Jack" Palmer passed away this morning. Huge loss.
So I called on another veteran friend (Harry Read). He was R.C.N during the war. Took him out for a couple pints. He enjoyed the day. I enjoyed it as well.
It wont be long before they're all gone.
Hoadie
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 9:47am
My daughter had a high school writing assignment to interview a vet. My father passed before she was born, so she arranged to interview a friend's grandfather. He joined the Air Force at 17 went right to England as a bomber crew and was shot down on his first mission. hooked up with the French underground and was back in England in a week. The Next Day he was back on a mission and was shot down. He was a pow for 3 months, escaped and made it back to England. He completed 2 or 3 missions, was shot down and spent the rest of the war as a pow. He said they were still trying to escape when the U.S. troops liberated them, and he was fully prepared to go back to England and get on another plane.

An amazing group, and they will be missed.

Ed
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 2:41pm

They were more than amazing.  As my son said they were men. The likes of which we'll never see again!
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

They were more than amazing.  As my son said they were men. The likes of which we'll never see again!

Willingly into harm's way..EVERYONE workin together for one goal.
Never see it again with a "ME" society!
Hoadie
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 11:18pm
sorry for your losses CM & Hodie , it has been going on for years but there are not many left , i was noting the other day with the passing of a local vet that the korean vets are getting fewer as well
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 1:16am
Thanks guys for all your cordial replies
lmao_37 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmao_37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 1:22pm
Iam sorry for your loss my grand father passed before i was born he joined the Royal irish fusiliers at 16 years old in 1916 and served with the british army until 1946 he was awarded a silver medal and bar all i remember was it had the words For Valor embosed on the front.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 8:12pm
It is always sad to hear about these veterans passing; but that is unfortunately the way of things. Father time stops for no man. I often wonder if we were faced with the same dangers today; how the youth of today would react. I know we have professional soldiers doing a tough job today, but the two world wars asked a lot from many ordinary people, and I take my hat off to those that stepped up to the job.
May they rest in peace, and may we thank them for the peace that we often take for granted, that was paid for in blood.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic