Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Un-sporterize #4-Mk1?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Un-sporterize #4-Mk1?
    Posted: December 30 2012 at 4:43pm
Hey gang -
I just got my first Enfield:  Grandpa's #4 mark 1  which is in good shape but has suffered from Grandpa's ideas of modifications...
He 'sporterized' it.  Also filed the battle sight into a V-notch rendering it basically useless. 
End result, it shoots really poorly, looks like poo.Dead
Will work on replacing the sight - would like to put a flip up on instead.
After reading comments about how original handguard puts upward pressure (witha spring!) on floating barrel, it makes me wonder if I should return the stock to non-sporterized and hopefully improve the accuracy?

Is there still any interest in an 'as issued' stock on the Enfields, or is the sporterized version a preferred look now?
yeah...whatever.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 2:44am
I think most here would say original.  I have no choice - mine are 'sporterized' which is OK for me except I want one to as issued.  Unfortunately front stocks are ridiculously priced - about as much as a sporterized rifle!  Even worse, the bayonet bit of the barrel has bee chopped off.  I'm thinking of making it look like a No10.  I want to use this one for paper patched target shooting.  For hunting I have sporterized No4's and No1's.
303Guy
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 3:50am
Restoring the rifle will double it's value.
Accuracy revolves around several factors, each one adding to the final result, post pic's so we can help with what you need to restore the old girl.
trimix View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 5:30am
My concern is that "restoring' it to original isn't going to increase its value - value is gained with original finishes and components.  What's more 'valuable' - an old car that's been driven from the showroom and immediately stored for 30 years in a barn, or one that has been cobbled back together from mixed parts by an amatuer - ?  Whatever I do, it will be a mutt - not an original Enfield.  I just want it to look and function as it should / did, not like some low budget prairie deer hunter trying to make a military surplus rifle look like a proper hunting rifle.

Lucky for me, the barrel was not sawn off short - the bayonet mount and front sight are intact ( ihave the bayonet), but the 'ears' are missing from the front. Does anyone think it will shoot better with a proper wooden fore-end?
yeah...whatever.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 5:59am
It can be done here are two of my "Rescues":

No4 Mk1 Maltby Before
After:

No4 Mk1/3 Before:
After:

Numrich, Sarco & Springfield Sporters should have all the parts you need. You may have to go to more than one source as they all occasionally are out of a particular bit or bob.
Good Luck!
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 6:07am
"After reading comments about how original handguard puts upward pressure (witha spring!) on floating barrel, it makes me wonder if I should return the stock to non-sporterized and hopefully improve the accuracy?"
That's a feature of the SMLE, not the No 4. The spring loaded screw was one of the things eliminated to improve production on the later model.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 6:54am
There is no doubt that a full wooded No4 looks way better than a 'sporterized' No4.  I don't mind a different butt stock with a decent hand grip and a higher comb and longer - that can be switched back with ease but the fore-end is non-negotiable.
303Guy
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 5:16pm
I stated before, putting it back to original WILL double it's value.
 It will never be as it was, but then the Enfield parts system was all about keeping the rifle functional, not as it left the factory.

If it had been as issued, that is all parts as it left the factory, then itwould be triple it's current value.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 12:26am
Many service rifles have had parts replaced over the years, having replacement wood is just one such repair, so fitting original wood is the way to go. Get the flip up back sight as well, that will help with the accuracy, giving you a more consistent sight picture.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
yoeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 1:46am
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/phv1807/IMG_0044.jpg

where did you find that wood?
is it new made?
si vis pacem parabelum
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 3:11am
It is surplus from the last production of No4 Mk2  Springfield Sporters has some

Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 7:07am
its your rifle of coarse , but i think you will learn from the doing and enjoy the end result , MHO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic